What's new

Ready for the Futur?

Gents,

I'm looking for some guidance here... I've been using the Merkur HD with Merkur platinum blades for a couple of months now... I'm getting a great shave and I feel I've "mastered" this setup. No nicks, etc.

However- as we all know, we're all looking to the next thing. So yesterday I place three orders. Here's what I'll be receiving:

Swedish Gillette blades
Israeli Super + blades
Feather blades
Merkur FUTUR

I'm ready to switch it up a bit, but I'm not sure what my next step is without slicing my face off. I ordered the Swedish Gillettes because they're supposedly superior to the Merkur blades but not as close as the Feathers; I ordered the Israelis because I read that they're similar to the Merkur blades but much, much cheaper.

I ordered the Feathers because I'm interested in seeing just how close they are, but I probably won't use them for months to come.

I ordered the Futur because I figured it's a good compromise between the Feather blades in my HD... So I'm thinking I'll try the Futur with Merkur or Swedish blades as my next step?

Any suggestions based on your own experiences?

The futur is an agressive razor. You are better served by using the merkur blades in them until you feel comfortable with the razor. Start with a low setting maybe set at 2. Work your way up from there. Good luck.

Going from the HD to the Futur will take a fair amount of adjusting, so my recommendation is to stick with a blade you know and shave like that for a while. The Futur is a heavy, aggressive razor that can give you a shave like no other if you treat it with respect. I found that it took some time to get really comfortable with the razor. You may not like it at first, but stick with it for a while and you will be rewarded.

Well, as in most things, YMMV. In my never humble opinion, there is no better DE shave than with a Futur. I own a Progress as well as other razors, and enjoy them all. It depends what you are looking for.

I'm surprised by the lack of a "buy them both" response. Seems the RAD hasn't seeped into this thread yet.

John, Just load up the Futur with a Feather, set the setting to 6 and let her rip......literally. I can't agree enough with what people have said before. Make sure you start with a low setting and a Merkur blade with the Futur. Once you get the hang of it, try it with a Feather Blade and slowly notch up the agressiveness of the Futur little by little. Let us know how things work out.

I hope to have it by Saturday so I can give it a go Sunday morning... I definately will post updates as to my progress with the Futur. As per the general suggestions, I'll start with the Merkur in that thing & see how it goes.

Scotto said:
Going from the HD to the Futur will take a fair amount of adjusting, so my recommendation is to stick with a blade you know and shave like that for a while. The Futur is a heavy, aggressive razor that can give you a shave like no other if you treat it with respect. I found that it took some time to get really comfortable with the razor. You may not like it at first, but stick with it for a while and you will be rewarded.

That is good advice for changing to any new-to-you razor.

The Futur is a great razor. I made the transition too after a few months using Gillettes, and it was a very smooth one. Just start on the 1 setting and go from there. I don't even need to go above 1, but I set it at 2 for my cheeks just because I can. I also think the Futur and Merkur blades are a great combination. I know the Futur + Feather combo is popular on the boards, but I tried it and didn't like it AT ALL. :a46:

All great advice, for which I will be indebted... After a few days or a week of the Futur, I'll be glad to post a review, either in this thread or in the Reviews section... Although I will say that it seems as though so many of you have been-there-done-that, that reviews in general are pointless! I still love to review because it helps me refine my own technique, and I hope that at least a few readers will find something helpful, guiding, or at least interesting!

Again, MUCH THANKS!

Definitely review it in the review section. While its great for guys new to a product, on more than one occasion I've read a glowing review that has caused me to go back and retry a product that I previously didn't care for and gain a newfound respect for it.

Okay, this is officially NOT a review. But I thought this might be a good place to just share the following: Two shaves in.

First shave was okay. I was somewhat nervous, even with the Merkur blades, but it was close. I got a bunch of small nicks that disappeared with my usual splashes of cold water.

This morning was the second shave with it. HOLY COW! SOOO Close. SOOO smooth. NO NICKS. Boys, let me repeat: ZERO NICKS. Even with the Merkur HD I usually get one or two very small insignificant (read: not bothersome) nicks. Today, NADA. It might have been the Cremo Creme (which was wonderful, by the way), but I think it was the FUTUR.

I let the Futur do the work- no pushing, no pulling. Just a few simple passes, each time with a new coat of the Cremo lather. Beautiful.

(I apologize, in advance, for posting some sort of review here.) *See the review section for my review of Cremo Creme.

I had that same reaction to the Futur as you, NY. I was afraid of it at first, since it looks like such a beast, but the shave was so much more smooth and comfortable than my Merkur Classic 1904. I started out on the setting of 1 to get used to it, and have slowly been moving up. Now, I'm 2 on the cheeks and 1.5 on the throat. Each adjustment I've made has resulted in the closest shave I've had. I think this razor is easier on my face because it removes so much hair per pass that I don't need to blade buff or go over the same spot repeatedly; two passes and I'm smooth.

15 hours after today's shave....still smooth!

John, Just load up the Futur with a Feather, set the setting to 6 and let her rip......literally. I can't agree enough with what people have said before. Make sure you start with a low setting and a Merkur blade with the Futur. Once you get the hang of it, try it with a Feather Blade and slowly notch up the agressiveness of the Futur little by little. Let us know how things work out.

I totally agree with this advice. Two months ago I had the unfortunate experience of starting, as a humble newbie, with a Futur. It was rough going for a while there, but I appreciate the Futur a lot more now that I've dialled it UP to 5-6. It's a bit counter-intuitive, I know.

I have to shave more carefully than before, but setting it higher has reduced the number of passes I make down to about three. In many spots I no longer shave ATG because I'm getting such a close shave now.

Cheers,
Sparky

my first foray into de shaving was with a futur. it wasn't until i viewed matic's vids that i started getting quality shaves with it tho. i'm steadily building up the aggressiveness setting. up to about 3 now.

one thing i have noticed is that with a merkur blade i couldn't get past the second setting without cuts, but pop a tesco blade in and i've moved up to the 4th setting already.

thinking of purchasing a slant tho. how does that compare to the futur??

I haven't tried a slant yet, but like you I'm seriously considering it. I used to think aggressive razors would be worse for sensitive skin, but if you're careful the reverse is true since you can reduce the number of passes. That's why I'm interested in trying a slant as well.

Cheers,
Sparky

Top Bottom