What's new

First Slant and Single Edge Shaves... Good & Bad

I tried a Merkur 39c Slant and my first single edge (Gem) this past week.

Using the Slant went real well. I let my beard grow out about 3 days and I love the sound it made as it sliced through my whiskers. I did however try to do a little to much and ended up with some irritation on my neck. Seems like the shave could of been a little closer I might go ahead and try a Feather blade next time instead of the Personna Reds.

The Single edge was a little different story. The first pass on my face was outstanding. But on my neck I decided to try something a little different. I had heard that some people go against the grain with the first pass and for some reason I thought it was a good idea...big mistake, needless to say I ended up throwing a Personna Med Prep in my Super Speed to finish up. I might give it another try in the next few weeks.

I still want to try an injector and a straight to see how those work. Still haven't got an injector yet and I should of used one of my straights after they were honed but I waited to long and for some reason there is a very light surface rust on the blade edge. I tried stropping them a little and it didn't seem to help. Oh, well. So many options with so little whiskers I guess.

Last edited:
Yeah, it seemed real nice starting out. I noticed the angle is allot different than a DE. Just need to work on my technique.

It's a completely different animal, so a whole new learning curve!
I picked up an adjustable injector this week, and it was love at first shave! Between that and the MMOC, plus the GEM 1912s i have on the way, plus the GEM Jr, it might be a while before the DEs get a look in again (Flare tip with a Feather works like a dream!)

Top Bottom