What's new

FS Silvertip

So I took the plunge and ordered a large knot silvertip SB. I just thought $40 for a 28mm silvertip butterscotch that comes with a stand was hard to resist. To any other B&B Members can you please explain your opinions?

Also If you don't mind can you please also post pics of your FS Shaving brushes?

Have a great day!

-Balaji

From what I've seen, FS is kind of taboo around here due to some shady marketing tactics. Completely understandable for sure.

With that being said, I have two FS brushes. I personally prefer the finest as the silvertip is too soft. Overall, not a bad product for a pretty good price, in my opinion.

There is nothing taboo about discussing the shaving brushes. There have been several threads about them, and gentlemanly discussion about them is more than welcome. I have never used one and can't comment, but I'm sure that more people that have will chime in.

I have two Frank's Shaving silvertips. The black handled one is about a year old while the white one was received in the mail yesterday. I haven't used the white handled brush yet, so will only about the black-handled brush.

Although I've become primarily a face lathering soap user, my Frank's brush has been wonderful bowl lathering shave creme. It's not a dense brush, but whips up Bigelow creme like no one's business and has good flowthrough. It can be loaded with soap, but unlike the Tweezerman that it supplemented, it doesn't really have the stiffness to load soaps well.

Initially the black handled brush initially had some prickliness, that has disappeared with use. It shed a few hair during the first couple of uses, but has been rock solid since. As you can see, the FS logo rubbed off the handle, fairly early in it's use.

Someday, I will try a Frank's finest, but am working on a restoration of an old brush handle with a TGN finest knot.

I have since become a boar aficionado, and primarily use those for soaps.

Interestingly, I paid $23.99 one year ago for the black handled brush, and $28.99 for the white handled brush. Delivery time was about one week. The nandle on the white brush is definitely heavier.

Attachments

• $IMG_1585.jpg
    $IMG_1585.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 900
WOW so Ironic that my FS SB 28mm Silvertip arrived after starting this thread. I've attached a photo for your viewing pleasure. I have to say this SB has a mighty heft to it and cant wait to do test lathers along with it tonight. The handle is pretty solid and can see that the knot is dense and seems of quality but that will be finalized by tonight!

Attachments

• $IMG_20110629_131905.jpg
    $IMG_20110629_131905.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 902
I have a Frank's in finest and in silvertip, and I much prefer the finest. The silvertip is waaaayyyyy too floppy! I use my Frank's finest as a travel brush now, and it works great. As a matter of fact, it outperforms quite a few brushes I have that cost a lot more.

I have a finest thats about a year old, I bought it on a lark to see what a twenty dollar brush could do. happy to the point that it is used in my rotation. not real stiff but far from floppy.

Ian

Very nice Balj86! I bought some smaller brushes as I mostly face lather. I am having some major shedding trouble with the silvertip fan, but the vendor is working with me on it. The finest is very nice and an excellent face latherer.

I actually have a floppy boar but i really don't mind it b/c I love bowl lathering and i think this would perfect. I am waiting for DB 1.5 Scuttle. I prefer face lathering with my boars but i know them a lot better. But I wanted a silvertip which i've never tried and i'm glad I went with FS b/c I did not want to drop $165 for a 28mm silvertip. So I'm very excited to see how this performs!

I actually have a floppy boar but i really don't mind it b/c I love bowl lathering and i think this would perfect. I am waiting for DB 1.5 Scuttle. I prefer face lathering with my boars but i know them a lot better. But I wanted a silvertip which i've never tried and i'm glad I went with FS b/c I did not want to drop $165 for a 28mm silvertip. So I'm very excited to see how this performs!

Keep us updated

WOW so Ironic that my FS SB 28mm Silvertip arrived after starting this thread. I've attached a photo for your viewing pleasure. I have to say this SB has a mighty heft to it and cant wait to do test lathers along with it tonight. The handle is pretty solid and can see that the knot is dense and seems of quality but that will be finalized by tonight!

Nice looking brush! Post some pics later on so we can see how big that puppy blooms.

Will Do! I love how all fellow B&B Members get so involved. I don't feel alone at all! Thanks!

Attached is my post bloom pic of this FS 28mm Silvertip SB. Let me just say for $40 this is actually a very luxurious brush. I've never own a silvertip before but the most i've ever spent on was $136 for Duke 3 Best which I really do love. IMO after looking at different pics I think this knot looks the same as Kent BK8. It just has a different handle. BTW it absorbs water well and I thought there was enough backbone to put lather on your face. Although I did not face lather and i don't think that should be a problem. As mentioned before this brush has a good weight to it that makes it feel worth more than what it actually is. I would recommend this brush if someone wanted a Silvertip with a large knot but doesn't want to drop $160. Very impressed with this brush! Go and get one b/c I guarantee you won't regret it!!! Have a great day y'all!

Attachments

• $IMG_20110630_083436.jpg
    $IMG_20110630_083436.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 855
Glad you like it. I've got one too and love the soft luxurious feel. Mine shed a few hairs the first few times I used and hasn't shed a single hair that I've noticed since then.

I've notice the brush on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silvertip-Bagde...056?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4159ce1ff0

For $40, as a daily face lathering brush in summer time, it looks like it might make the cut.

I never heard of Franks Shaving until I found this thread. I'm also looking at some other fine brushes, that other members were kind enough to suggest, as a daily Face Lathering brush for the summer.

How would you rate this brush in the Silvertip Badger for Face Lathering with Creams?

Thanks

Go For it. It'll be great to have one of these in a rotation too. I would at least give an 8 out 10 because it is silvertip and has a pillow type feel. The handle weight and size is what adds to the backbone and gives me confidence about this brush. There are brushes out there exactly like these and cost a lot more. I'm glad i got one of these and saved a good chunk of money for other stuff honestly.

Top Bottom