What's new

Fragrances that don't last on you.

I love the smell of Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme.
Sadly, it doesn't last on me.
I might get an hour tops. 2 sprays on my chest and neck as per every other fragrance.
Bummer.

What do you like, but doesn't last on you?

I might get an hour tops. 2 sprays on my chest and neck as per every other fragrance.
Bummer.

Do you have a reliable nose around who can confirm that? I find some scents just disappear for me, yet remain for others around me.

Tom Ford for Men. I get a very light lemony opening then it's gone, no matter how much I apply. My wife has a very sensitive nose and has confirmed this.

Eau de Guerlain -- my favorite summer scent, but it lasts maybe 2 hours tops. Also PdN Cedrat, again a great scent that lasts about an hour. Same with Agua Lavanda (maybe a bit longer with this one).

Tom Ford for Men. I get a very light lemony opening then it's gone, no matter how much I apply. My wife has a very sensitive nose and has confirmed this.

Just testing this one. Light spray on back of hand. I get the lemony opening and it lasts so-so...then fades to a leathery scent that kind of slaps you and dies down to a blend of lemon and leather. Perhaps we cleaned the recliner with Pledge? Still something else there I can't place....some wood or something...kind of in there... Anyway, I find it lasting pretty good, though. Not the top notes, but the fragrance. Just shows how one fragrance works so differently on two different people.

Just testing this one. Light spray on back of hand. I get the lemony opening and it lasts so-so...then fades to a leathery scent that kind of slaps you and dies down to a blend of lemon and leather. Perhaps we cleaned the recliner with Pledge? Still something else there I can't place....some wood or something...kind of in there... Anyway, I find it lasting pretty good, though. Not the top notes, but the fragrance. Just shows how one fragrance works so differently on two different people.

I knew it had to be just me, because it's way too popular.

I knew it had to be just me, because it's way too popular.

I dunno. BN has a good mix of neutral and negative reviews. Not overwhelming in the positive reviews by any means. I think part of that is Tom Ford is known for fragrances with a punch and this one is quite light in comparision.

I drenched myself in Kanon Norwegian Wood and get a faint JPG LeMale scent. It seems to be hanging in there though.

Back to the Tom Ford for Men...get a trace of the lemony still, every so often. Definetely not a power hitter. I imagine it'd need a touch up spray throughout the day.

Bummer.

That is amazing! Most lemony scents do not particularly last for me, but for me Issey lasts and lasts. And if I am wearing Issey, and it has pretty much dissapted over the course of a day, but I get sweaty either from exertion or simply being out in hot weather, the Issey comes back very strongly! Of course, Issey is not not your usual fresh and light citrus!

Most lavenders do not last very long for me, althought I am convinced that a lot of that is really a fast acclimation to lavender scents and they do no really go away as quickly as it seems.

Creed Cuir de Russie is indeed notoriously "short," but I do not seem to have the problem with it that many others do.

I am absolutely convinced that no bay rum that is at all mostly scented with bay tree leaf oils, and not, say, cloves and cinammon, has any tenacity whatsoever on anyone.

I think I get better tenacity than many folks. No idea why that would be.

Most Creed's do not last long on me but Aventus and Cuir de Russie are particularly short lived. Maybe an hour or so for those two.

Do you have a reliable nose around who can confirm that? I find some scents just disappear for me, yet remain for others around me.

Most Creed's do not last long on me but Aventus and Cuir de Russie are particularly short lived. Maybe an hour or so for those two.

For me, there is a difference between Aventus and CdR which is exactly what DavyRay describes. With CdR, the stuff is just flat gone. No one can smell it on me at all after an hour or two. With Aventus, it's still there, I just can't smell it. I'll get a random compliment on it several hours after I stopped smelling it, so I know it still has to be there. On another note, I can wear it one day and if I smell the shirt I wore the next day, it's definitely still there. I just stopped smelling it an hour after I put it on for some reason. I don't know if it's olfactory fatigue or just flat out an inability to sense the notes of the dry down after the top notes have faded. Wife and daughter absolutely love it, so it will have to stay in the rotation, but it pisses me off that I can't get at least a little bit more enjoyment out of it.

"olfactory fatigue" What a perfect phrase to describe some of this!

Something must be going on as to Creed Cdr and my own nose. Those gourgeous, to me virtually unique, top notes do fade, but I definitely get decent ongoing scent from this one for quite awhile. It does not set any longetivity records, but for me it is surely there! I know I am in the minority!

"olfactory fatigue" What a perfect phrase to describe some of this!

Something must be going on as to Creed Cdr and my own nose. Those gourgeous, to me virtually unique, top notes do fade, but I definitely get decent ongoing scent from this one for quite awhile. It does not set any longetivity records, but for me it is surely there! I know I am in the minority!

Olfactory fatigue, Olfactory habituation, Asnomic.... I dunno what the "appropriate" terminology is. Maybe all of them. From what I gather, olfactory fatigue/habituation seems that your nose "gets used to" a certain scent, so you don't detect the smell of it anymore such as the smell of your own house. Being asnomic, I think means that your nose is just insensitive or does not have the ability to pick up on certain types of scents.

I'm no expert or olfactory doctor, but those are my impressions of what we are talking about here and they seem to be two distinct and separate issues.

Olfactory fatigue, Olfactory habituation, Asnomic.... I dunno what the "appropriate" terminology is. Maybe all of them. From what I gather, olfactory fatigue/habituation seems that your nose "gets used to" a certain scent, so you don't detect the smell of it anymore such as the smell of your own house. Being asnomic, I think means that your nose is just insensitive or does not have the ability to pick up on certain types of scents.

I'm no expert or olfactory doctor, but those are my impressions of what we are talking about here and they seem to be two distinct and separate issues.

Absolutely correct and very well expressed, as far as I am concerned. I really like "olfactory fatigue" though. Very evocative!

Top Bottom