What's new

Confessions: going against conventional wisdom

It's occurred to me for quite a while now that there are things I do in shaving that work for me that I would never recommend to a newcomer. I just bypass talking about them for fear of muddying the waters of helpful advice. I remember how irritated I became when an experienced shaver recommended ATG first passes to everyone, and felt he had set wet shaving back at least a decade.:nono:

Having said that, I am now reporting that I've never mapped my beard growth. I'm not even curious. In my early readings, I read about method shaving and found the forms easy to follow, and more or less adapted them so they work for me and my usual four-pass shave routine. I get BBS shaves almost every time with no nicks or irritation, but I would never recommend it to anyone. It just seems to work, perhaps by accident.

Do you do things that fly in the face of conventional wisdom? Things that work for you but you would hesitate to recommend to a newcomer? I'm curious...:confused:

Codfish

Well, maybe. To get the razor to work better in the concave sections under my jaw I rotate the razor and the blade is cutting at a 40 degree angle of attack. Like this sorta- / -the blade would be moving up or down the page. I do the same thing on each side (basically) of my chin. It might be perfectly safe- I've never had a problem with it, but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone, or if I did, with the disclaimer that if they can't handle it don't do it.

My stubble grows from my nose to my ears over 90% of my face but I usually shave North to South never really shaving WTG. It's basically 2 XTG passes but it works for me.

I start with my neck, then do my chin & finish with my cheeks/sideburns. I think I get better lather and more moisture on the neck starting there, the skin is tough enough of the chin & the cheeks have always shaved well.

Well, maybe. To get the razor to work better in the concave sections under my jaw I rotate the razor and the blade is cutting at a 40 degree angle of attack. Like this sorta- / -the blade would be moving up or down the page. I do the same thing on each side (basically) of my chin. It might be perfectly safe- I've never had a problem with it, but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone, or if I did, with the disclaimer that if they can't handle it don't do it.

I also do that. it's the only way to get the blade in some spots going in a certain direction. otherwise i'd have to go ATG or something on the first pass.

I also go over spots without re-lathering, i guess that's not recommended but i find the skin stays nice and slippery for 10-15 seconds after you swipe the lather away so you can quickly hit it again to reduce the stubble faster. Plus keeping some lather on the razor gives a sort of skim coat as the blade goes along...kinda like those lubricating strips on cartridges...except this actually lubricates.

If I want to just touch up a spot I'll take my finger and move a dab of soap from a spot that is already smooth. No need for a 4th pass when just a touch up will do!

I do multiple and multidirectional passes rather than long strokes, a technique I have always used from the year dot. I also probably go very quickly too compared to others. I remember an occasion in a campsite toilet block thirty years ago shaving next to a good friend with a BIC. He was amazed how quickly I got done and that I wasn't shredded.

I have Fusion gel in my rotation and apply it with a brush, it makes a fantastic sloppy lather.

I enjoy trying out carts as well as DE blades - shaving in general is something I enjoy.

Sometimes when the whim strikes me, I'll make my first pass a series of buffing passes. Probably when I'm in a hurry, and only have time for a kind of two pass shave.

I do long passes with a straight. I know, I know, it's going to get me yelled at, but it works! It just slices those hairs right off and they pile up on the blade. It's half the joy of using a straight!

I sometimes use a little extra pressure when I want a very close shave and I'm using a mild razor/blade combo.

Don't try this at home, kids.

I also do that. it's the only way to get the blade in some spots going in a certain direction. otherwise i'd have to go ATG or something on the first pass.

I also go over spots without re-lathering, i guess that's not recommended but i find the skin stays nice and slippery for 10-15 seconds after you swipe the lather away so you can quickly hit it again to reduce the stubble faster. Plus keeping some lather on the razor gives a sort of skim coat as the blade goes along...kinda like those lubricating strips on cartridges...except this actually lubricates.

Yup, I do the same thing. And when I wet the skin to feel for stubble that needs more attention sometimes the water is enough to revive the soap residue and it's enough.

The great thing about shaving is that it's 100% pragmatic. You can do what ever you like as long as it works and no one has the right to complain about it.

The great thing about shaving is that it's 100% pragmatic. You can do what ever you like as long as it works and no one has the right to complain about it.

I agree, but it does rankle me when someone touts their idiosyncrasies (first pass ATG, for example) as great advice for newbies. I think it borders on irresponsible.

Codfish

I've been known to do the "Gillette Slide" with my Slant loaded with a Feather but I'd never recommend it. I've done the beard map and my bread grows in many different directions so some whiskers get ATG when the rest are get XTG. I think a good pred prevents problems.
I don't have a problem recommending going North to south then right to left, left to right, finally South to north. I think that suits most people. I think a newbie is more likely to get nicked by worrying about which way his whiskers grow and constantly changing directions than doing a good prep and sticking to a North to South, East to West, West to East then South to North.
I think after a novice gets lathering, blade angle, the right razor/blade combo, post shave and so forth figured out they can move on to the mapping and achieving the BBS.
But like I say, I don't worry about the beard map and I get a BBS and rarely get a nick or razor burn. The last time I had a problem I rotated the Tech into the line up and I was being a little careless.

Cold water shaving. Coming up on a year of CWS exclusively and I highly recomend it. Now, I know that hot towels and steam and elaborate pre-shave routines are part of the culture but I get great results by simply putting a few splashes of water on the whiskers and then letting the lather, also made with cold water, do it's magic for a couple minutes before shaving.

I've been known to do the "Gillette Slide" with my Slant loaded with a Feather but I'd never recommend it.

Wow! Will we now hear from someone who attaches straights to an electric fan and sticks his face in?:lol::lol::lol:

I don't have a problem recommending going North to south then right to left, left to right, finally South to north. I think that suits most people. I think a newbie is more likely to get nicked by worrying about which way his whiskers grow and constantly changing directions than doing a good prep and sticking to a North to South, East to West, West to East then South to North. I think after a novice gets lathering, blade angle, the right razor/blade combo, post shave and so forth figured out they can move on to the mapping and achieving the BBS.

Agreed. Good point.

Codfish

Last edited:
I shave spots that aren't re-lathered, as well as using long downward strokes N-S directly below the ear and all the way down my neck.

Top Bottom