What's new

Best De razor for sensitive skin?

If your just starting out I would suggest a Gillette Tech (ball or fat handle). They are not aggressive, can be purchsed for less than $20 and are really very good DE razors. Blades are a very personal preference and a sampler pack form Bulgoose will let you find what works for you. I like Astra, Personna Medical Prep, and Feather blades best, but feathers may not be good choice if just strating out (they bite!).

I don't think I've ever cut myself with a Schick Krona and once you get used to it, a DFS without effort
ken

Really, if you stay away from slants and open-combs at first, you'll be ok. Not that you can't use those, but you'll want to make sure your technique is up to snuff first.

Don't forget to take into account blade and soap/cream choice. It seems that the best thing for sensitive skin is a good, lubricating lather.

Maybe an adjustable, set at a low (mild) number. I like my Gillette Slim. If you do use an adjustable, just set it and forget it. Resist the urge to fiddle with the adjustments while you are learning your (soon-to-be) great technique.

Good luck.

Don't forget to take into account blade and soap/cream choice. It seems that the best thing for sensitive skin is a good, lubricating lather.
+1

I thought I had sensitive skin, and that I needed a mild razor. Turns out somewhat the opposite. I do have problems with parabens, or atleast soaps/cream without them do not irratate my face. Add that to my dense wiry beard, the carts and electrics had no chance. I have been steadily upping the aggressiveness of the razors I use, and that has made the difference.

I would say get an adjustable: I found a slim at an estate sale for $5, start with it at 1, which is feels like the Weishi I started with. Shave for awhile, and make sure you work on your technique, lathering, and sample a few blades. Once you have a blade you like, and you are getting smooth, comfortable shaves like clock work, with a BBS in there from time to time, start playing with the adjustments. I went to 4 right away, and it was better, but I ended up liking 7 best. I have also found a slant, that has become my daily razor, and an old type open comb I love using on the dome.

The key to combating sensitive skin in a combination of the razor, blade, cream or soap and your preparation.

I have a few areas on my neck that are very sensitive and get irritated easily. I sampled many razors and blade combos and found that my current setup is my best option (so far).

Razor: Gillette Red Tip
Blade: Personna Medical
Cream/Soap: Lately, my skin has been on fire; I've been using Trumpers Coconut Soap

Try some differnent setups, you will eventully stumble on what works best for you.

Lord LP1822L, you can find it for $15 with some good blades included on eBay.

I second that choice wholeheartedly. Not so mild (like the Gillette Tech) that you will be seduced to use more pressure than is good for you and not so aggressive you come into trouble either. It has a high level of natural feel to it and I bought several including one for when my son comes to his shaving age. I can't think of a better razor to learn the trade with and I think it is, apart from its looks, one of the best DE's in the market right now though I do have a soft spot for the Mühle/EJ 89 series as well.

I think that technique trumps hardware almost every time, and that the razor matters less than how it's used.

Although I wasn't ready for one at first, a slant was my best teacher. It always pointed out my errors.

If you are very sure that your prep, angle and pressure are spot-on you will have a sense of what razor/blade combo is right for you. Until then, practice and more practice may be all you need. Many of us took well over six months to develop decent shaving skills.

Codfish

I have to weigh in with the Tech suggestion. I have a decent fat handled one I'm not using. PM if you would be interested in it. (I hope that wasn't too much of a BST for this thread ... just willing to help someone get started CHEAP!)

I think that technique trumps hardware almost every time, and that the razor matters less than how it's used.Although I wasn't ready for one at first, a slant was my best teacher. It always pointed out my errors.

If you are very sure that your prep, angle and pressure are spot-on you will have a sense of what razor/blade combo is right for you. Until then, practice and more practice may be all you need. Many of us took well over six months to develop decent shaving skills.

Codfish

Well said.

Top Bottom