What's new

Acquisitions for July 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pjotr

It's a GEM jewel. Haven't seen one of those for a while. Also wasn't aware they were made in England. It looks identical to the ER Streamline. It's weird all this GEM/Ever Ready/England/ASR manufacturing hotchpotch of what are esssentially identical razors.

It's a GEM jewel. Haven't seen one of those for a while. Also wasn't aware they were made in England. It looks identical to the ER Streamline. It's weird all this GEM/Ever Ready/England/ASR manufacturing hotchpotch of what are esssentially identical razors.

I'm loving it, can't wait till next pay to order some GEM ptfe blades for it and give it a spin. the Gillette feels great too, despite being a bit rough round the edges I will have to give it a whirl with a new blade too.

On a side note, score! my local grocers had Imperial Leather talc on special for $1.99
proxy.php

Smells like a mix between the I.L soap and aftershave, I like it.

Now for a beginner when it comes to Straights, I think i've done quite well this month!

proxy.php

proxy.php

#1 is a Kropp with faux-ivory scales, made in Sheffield. Bought from the strop shop. Most definitely shave-ready.
#2 is a Pass, Solingen-made, also bought from the Strop Shop. Also shave-ready.
#3 is an Anvil Man, solingen-made, bought from life2short1971 here on B&B.
#4 is a J.A Hellberg, still has the warranty etched on the blade, now that's quality! Bought it on a Swedish auction site called "Tradera". First razor I ever bought!
#5 is an unnamed(?) one, says; "Feinste Solingen Facharbeit" on the tang. I think that means something along the lines of: "Best Solingen Union Work". Something like that. Also bought from life2short1971.

My extreme poor mans strop is made my Neil Miller of the Strop-shop. Good enough for a beginner I think.

So, give me your thoughts!

Last edited:
Pretty maids - all in a row. Looks like you have enough to keep you shaved each week now. Looks like Life2Short is hooking you up.

Enjoy the hobby and the B&B! :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments, Gentlemen! And if someone has a suggestion as to who I should send the W&B to for restoration please PM me!

DISCLAIMER : I was "comped" this bowl from john at west coast shaving in exchange for my thoughts and critique of same.my opinion is just that,an honest opinion,and the fact that I received this at no charge does not influence my thoughts on the bowl at all..The bowl is from NZEN POTTERY,and I had never heard of them before..the bowl measures 4 1/2 inches wide,and about 5/8 inch tall...each bowl is hand made so no two will be alike,but close... the clay has been expertly glazed,and to my delight the surface of the interior is not glass smooth..I like a few miniscule bumps or ridges,this aerates the lather and puffs it up,not much,but more so than ultra smooth surfaces...many shavers dread the sight of a few bubbles in their lather,but I have found that many creams will foam,and once you start to lather the foamy cream onto your face,the bubbles dissipate and the lather thickens right up.this is less true with soaps,especially tallow based soaps...............the weight of the bowl is just right for hand holding,it is not heavy at all.mine tips the scales at about 250 grams...the swirls of different clay colors is very handsome,a nice break from the usual................working the bowl: not a negative at all,but for the size of this bowl,I would say 24MM knot is this bowls limit,and a 20MM knot is the sweet spot on it...my vie-long barber pro extra horse hair was a beautiful match for this bowl,the 24MM omega black badger had a little tougher time keeping the lather inside the rim,but it did work.a 23-24MM knot with a big fan on it will be a problem,ya gotta have a little swirl room !.............the price is right in line with other fine shaving bowls @ $40.....any negatives ? not per se ,but you do not want to drop this fine little shaving tool,it will not bounce,only shatter...I look forward to many fine soap/cream shaves from this little gem

Attachments

• $zzzzzaaaa 690.jpg
    $zzzzzaaaa 690.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 321
  • $zzzzzaaaa 692.jpg
    $zzzzzaaaa 692.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 320
  • $zzzzzaaaa 699.jpg
    $zzzzzaaaa 699.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 318
  • $zzzzzaaaa 701.jpg
    $zzzzzaaaa 701.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 319
  • $zzzzzaaaa 696.jpg
    $zzzzzaaaa 696.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 321
I have been on vacation this week so I had to stop at some flea markets and antique malls in Indiana and Wisconsin and managed to find these.

A Hess 42

proxy.php

A Red Imp 132

proxy.php

And a Dubl Duck Satin Wedge

proxy.php

Oh and the razor roll!

Got these in the mail today :) . I love that so many places have samples and those that don't I can totally count on Garry to stock some good ones throughout the year :) . $Untitled-1.jpg

love that HESS !! speaking of frozen temper,can you believe this ?????????

Attachments

• $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzfytkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkj.jpg
    $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzfytkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkj.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 285
proxy.php

My father picked these up for me this week. The one on the left is the oldest in my collection. I think it is a 1910. The middle one is my birthdate razor.

These tasty little morsels are some of my latest.

Attachments

• $SS850395.jpg
    $SS850395.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 268
  • $SS850316.jpg
    $SS850316.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 267
  • $SS850405.jpg
    $SS850405.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Status