What's new

First post to Badger and Blade

Howdy All,

When my dad taught me how to shave, it was with a DE Gillette (couldn't tell you which model). For a few years after that, I shaved with a DE Gillette because, well, that's what you did at our house.

I don't remember exactly when, but at some stage I succumbed to the siren song of Madison Avenue and switched over to disposable razors. In my callow youth, I was convinced that the Gillette Sensor was superior to my good old DE razor. After all, it was NEW, right?

Umpteen razor "systems" later, I have taken to using these lousy little Schick "Extreme" disposables on my face and head. Now that I type it out, why would I want an "extreme" razor? Bah! The Schick disposables don't cut me up or give me razor burn, but they really don't give that good a shave, either. Basically, they're just barely decent enough to buy and use.

Anyway, I'm tired of buying big plastic packages of plastic razors and just throwing them away. I'm also tired of the lousy shave quality. I'm not worried about relearning how to shave with a DE...if I could do it at 16 I can do it now. I am mildly annoyed that I have to search for a razor at an antique store or online. Whoever thinks that one of you daily tools for living would be relegated to antique stores?

Once I find a good razor or two, I'll post a few pics. I'm looking forward to revisiting a ritual from my youth!

Glad you found us, and have renewed your interest in DE shaving! It is a very fun hobby. It also feels good to not be blindly following the next new thing in plasticy multi razors. Have fun!

Welcome back to wet shaving! You'll find lots of good razors out there. You don't need to spend a lot to find one that will work well for you. The Buy/Sell/Trade classifieds here are a great place to start.

Good luck!

Codfish

Top Bottom