What's new

Can you load a single edge razor with double-edge blades?

Looking at picking up a vintage single edge razor, but have never used one before. Can you load double edge razor blades into a single edge razor (Gem Micromatic Twist is the one I am looking at)?

No but you can use single edge blades and from what I remember they are not very expensive.

Al raz.

Thanks...I know seems silly to ask but just didn't know the answer as I have never used a single edge razor before and didn't know if double edge blades could be used on single and double edge razors.

You have a recommendation on single edge blades?

Thanks...I know seems silly to ask but just didn't know the answer as I have never used a single edge razor before and didn't know if double edge blades could be used on single and double edge razors.

You have a recommendation on single edge blades?

Gem/Personna or Treet

If you had a lot of time on your hands, you could probably modify some double edge blades to fit, but since most of the SE razors hold the blade secure, in part, by putting pressure on the rear, you may end up with a blade that is warped. It would be much simpler to just by some Gem stainless steel blades and enjoy your shave, not fear it.

If you had a lot of time on your hands, you could probably modify some double edge blades to fit, but since most of the SE razors hold the blade secure, in part, by putting pressure on the rear, you may end up with a blade that is warped. It would be much simpler to just by some Gem stainless steel blades and enjoy your shave, not fear it.

+1. If you want to get your MacGyver on, you can put together a little frame that will hold a trimmed DE blade in certain SE razor models. Here's a 5-page thread on the subject.

Warning: DO NOT, in your haste, buy single-edged blades that are sold for paint scrapers and box cutters. Many of them look exactly like the shaving blades. Be sure what you buy is for shaving; trust me; your HMO will thank you.

just fold the DE blade in half and and you'll get all the fun of a DE shave with all the multiple blade goodness of a cart!

no seriously, just get the right blades, the hassle isn't worth it.

Have fun!

-Matt-

DE blades are also much thinner than SE blades. Even if you could trim one to fit, the thickness wouldn't be right and the blade wouldn't seat or get held properly.

+1. If you want to get your MacGyver on, you can put together a little frame that will hold a trimmed DE blade in certain SE razor models. Here's a 5-page thread on the subject.

Works on 1912s, 1914s and 1924s. With 1912s no further modification is required to the DE blade other than snapping it in half (please do it with the blade wrapped). The others require trimming the side tabs off of the blade - kitchen scissors work great.

There's no way to fit a DE blade into a mid-20th century GEM razor, at least the cheap plastic handled razors that came with the blades. The hooks are too far apart. I bought a Pat. 1912 Ever-Ready razor to use with half DE blades. But I don't understand dilly-b saying it works on 1912s without trimming the side tabs. Measuring quick and dirty with a ruler, my 1912 has about a 40.5mm width inside the top, compared with about 43.5mm width of a DE blade. Without trimming, the razor can't fully close.

I might as well add to this old thread that there are SE razors that accommodate DE blades. In the history of safety razors a handful of SE razors such as Capital Golf and Shake Sharp used only DE razor blades. There is no need to modify or tamper these razors they work with DE blades only. I know that isn't what the OP was looking for but I thought I would pass this info anyway.

$23i84u1.jpg

Yes, actually ... you can ...

Snip off the sides so that it fits into, say, the 1912. As you close the cap, the blade flexes and presents the front edge exactly where you'd expect it. Lined up neatly at the front.

Needless to say, the back edge is now kippered, but many DE blades come numbered, so present the 1 edge up front, 3 if you flip it and don't use 2/4.

Or wait for hell to freeze over and get a razor like Joe's.

Oooh! Or scour the waste dumps of the former Eastern Bloc for one of these:

proxy.php

proxy.php

What was the description, Joe? As if a GEM Contour and a crayon had a Communist love child :D

Top Bottom