What's new

question about de blades for coarse/thick hair

Hello,

I am interested in DE shaving and have a few questions. I typically use a proglide razor and dull a cartridge in under 5 shaves because my hair is thick/coarse (blade starts pulling hair rather than cutting) I want to know if DE shaving is a good option for someone with hair like mine and what types of blades you would suggest trying for my situation.

Thanks

DE is always a good option. Even if you can't get more than one or two shaves out of a blade, it isn't a big deal because they cost a dime each opposed to $4.50.

Anyway, I have found the best results with Rapira Swedish Stainless blades, but they may not be the best for a beginner.

I'm going to recommend either Derby or Shark blades to start with, both should run under $15 delivered at any number of B&B vendors and/or Ebay.

Good luck,

I am interested in DE shaving and have a few questions. I typically use a proglide razor and dull a cartridge in under 5 shaves because my hair is thick/coarse (blade starts pulling hair rather than cutting) I want to know if DE shaving is a good option for someone with hair like mine and what types of blades you would suggest trying for my situation.

DE shaving is a good option for anyone with facial hair, regardless of the type of whiskers. I strongly recommend starting out with a sampler pack of various DE blades. The perfect combination of blade, razor, and your individual face can only be achieved by trial and error...as we say here, YMMV! (Your mileage may vary...)

For coarse, thick hair a very sharp blade is best, in my opinion. I would say that Feather, Kai, and perhaps Bolzano would be the top three.

DE shaving is a good option for anyone with facial hair, regardless of the type of whiskers. I strongly recommend starting out with a sampler pack of various DE blades. The perfect combination of blade, razor, and your individual face can only be achieved by trial and error...as we say here, YMMV! (Your mileage may vary...)

+1

Also keep in mind that better prep and better razor technic will give you longer lasting blades. The sharpness of the blade is one factor among many.

Welcome aboard, I too agree with the sampler pack of blades, but make sure u get some Feathers to go with it. Blades are very important with thicker growth, espcially with multidirectional growth. U want super sharp to slice through, and they dont get any sharper than Feathers, imo. This is just based on my experience with similar growth as u, I have the fred flinstone muzzle, even after 3-4 passes. IMO, sharper = better. my .02 cents, good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

ahh, I forgot to mention too, that I usually let my lather sit for 1-3 mintues before shaving, I find at least with me, that it helps soften hairs even more. Sounds weird I know, but I swear by it now.

I'm in a bit late! but... I have very thick and coarse facial hair and switching to DE was the best solution I ever made. Even a sharp cartridge tended to tug at my beard instead of cutting through it smoothly. With a DE blade and patient smooth shaving, I can effectively thin out my beard, then shave it BBS with hardly any effort at all. Unless its a very dull blade, all I need is a slight stretch of my skin and it goes straight through. Sounds much nicer than plastic too.

Top Bottom