What's new

Natural Bristle Toothbrush

Does anyone have experience with natural bristle toothbrushes?

I'm interested in them because I have noticed them recently on several vendors' sites.

I've used natural bristle toothbrushes in the past, but won't use them again.

While I appreciate the retro-nostalgic aspect of using something that's hand made from natural ingredients, the truth is that they don't last very long before the bristles fall out, and that's AFTER they start developing a funky odor that I didn't want to put in my mouth.

They tend to be quite a bit more expensive than modern toothbrushes, but with no real gain in performance.

If you want to buy it for ornamental purposes to pretty up your shave den, then go for it. But if you want it to clean your teeth, stick with something like an Oral-B, Crest, Colgate, or Reach that you can find in your local drugstore.

But just out of curiosity, can you give some links to these vendors that carry them?

I have been using one for a couple of years now, currently one from D.R.Harris. In the past I was using a Phillips Sonicare and flossing at least once per day, yet still had bad checkups with a lot of tartar always noted. I tried a natural bristle brush when the battery went dead on the Sonicare and have been awed at the improvement. At the following checkup (and all since) my dentist was surprised at the complete lack of tartar. She was so impressed that she uses a natural bristle brush herself now. I think the advantage is that natural bristles have micro-ridges along their lengths, while nylon strands are very smooth along their sides, so the natural bristle is inherently superior at scrubbing. Cheap natural bristle brushes might not last long, but good ones, such as my Harris or a Kent, will be very durable (the Harris has had almost a year of daily use with no fraying or loss of bristles, and no odd odors).

I have been using one for a couple of years now, currently one from D.R.Harris. In the past I was using a Phillips Sonicare and flossing at least once per day, yet still had bad checkups with a lot of tartar always noted. I tried a natural bristle brush when the battery went dead on the Sonicare and have been awed at the improvement. At the following checkup (and all since) my dentist was surprised at the complete lack of tartar. She was so impressed that she uses a natural bristle brush herself now. I think the advantage is that natural bristles have micro-ridges along their lengths, while nylon strands are very smooth along their sides, so the natural bristle is inherently superior at scrubbing. Cheap natural bristle brushes might not last long, but good ones, such as my Harris or a Kent, will be very durable (the Harris has had almost a year of daily use with no fraying or loss of bristles, and no odd odors).

Interesting. My dentist noticed a HUGE improvement after I switched to an Oral B electric toothbrush. Then, my girlfriend's Dentist noticed the same with her. I will never return to a non-electric ever again.

Thanks for all the responses and the link to other thread. I may pick one up and check it out.

Sonicare is the best thing that has happened to me and my family ever when it comes to tooth care. I would love to use a natural brush but the sonicare does wonders that cant be replicated with any manual brush. Sorry to hijack but a great deal of research has been done on the subject. a true YMMV thing.

I just got mine, it's a Koh-i-noor wild boar/extra firm (Durissimo) in black. I like it but it is very stiff hope it will break in soon. $yhst-96829732451264_2166_19514197.jpg

I use a braun electric at night and a radius full size during the day...the radius really is great for a full mouth scrub first thing in the morning

No experience at all , but i would really want to know the exact area the hair was extracted from on the dead animal before i stuck it in my gob.

Top Bottom