What's new

Injector or Non-Injector Single-Edge?

I started shaving with a DE razor almost two years ago. I really liked it, but then I started shaving with a straight razor, and unfortunately, I sold my DE. Straight razors have proven harder to maintain than I originally thought, so now I'm back looking for a workhorse razor for my regular, weekday shaves. Since I've already tried a DE, I was thinking I should try something new this time around. Could I get some advice on whether I should go for an injector razor or a non-injector SE? Which, in your opinion, offers a better shave? Is there anything that I need to keep in mind as I'm looking for one to buy?

All that I can say is that my GEM and Injector razors provide me excellent shaves, and both are SE blade weapons. Blades are limited to a couple of brands (still being produced) in both of these razors. Try a a Type E injector or a GEM 1912.

Injector razors are very easy to use in tight spots, like under the nose. Gem style SE razors are easy enough, and may give you a closer shave. You're more likely to find shave grade "regular" SE blades in local stores, but maybe you know of a local store with injector blades. Both SE and injector blades are easy to find on line.

Based on end results, I'd find it hard to pick between an E or G injector, and my favorite SE razors, 1912 style, Gem Junior Bar, a couple of others. They aren't expensive, usually, so consider sampling both.

If the whiskers on your neck grow close to your skin, an Injector may not work as well as you might like it to (but a lot of guys really like them). The Gem/Star/Ever-Ready types work better for me, but it wouldn't hurt to try both the Gem and Injector styles.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Can't go wrong with either one. My preference is the E and G Injectors, but there are several models to choose from. Several styles of standard SE razors as well.

I happened to ask my mom on Friday about my dad's injector. She looked around and found it for me. I'm not sure what it is but hopefully when I get it cleaned up, I'll be able to tell more. I know the handle is short on it but it's heavier than it looks. After a failed first marriage to a major @#$!@#$%, when he married my mom he literally came with a paper bag with a pair of underwear and this razor...ex had sold off everything else he owned. I know with that being the case, that he was using it 40+ years ago and did until the Shick Tracer came around. I may give it a try once I get it cleaned up and track down some blades. I like to think he'd be grinning at the thought of me resurrecting that one.

Bubba

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Many independent drug stores in the US carry the Schick Injector blades as well as some CVS or Walgreens. Available on Amazon as well. Walgreens carries the GEM standard SE blades.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I didn't realize that they would be so cheap and plentiful. I'm definitely going to try out both types eventually. To start, I've just ordered a Micromatic on eBay. I really wanted a GEM 1912, but the ones I saw did not seem to be in the best condition.

Thanks, I had read here that the big chains stopped carrying the injector blades.

A year or so ago ASR announced that they were no longer going to supply injectors to the retail market, that's why CVS, Walgreens, Meijers etc clearanced them all out. I haven't seen them in any of the chain stores since then.

Top Bottom