What's new

Muhle R89 v. Merkur HD

I use a Merkur HD regularly and am thinking about getting a Muhle R89. I was wondering how these razors compare.

Since I bought an EJ87 (same head as the 89, Ivory handle) I've hardly used my HD. That might tell you something!

Very smooth, comfortable shave and as close as the HD. Looks so much better built as well.

Gareth

I have a EJ DE86 (ebony) and Merkur HD. I still prefer the HD because of its balance. The handle is about the same width/circumferance and just a bit longer. The EJ is a bit head heavy but the chrome plating is great and the design makes it easier to clean. I would recommend getting the EJ because it is close enough and different enough.

Last edited:
I own an Edwin Jagger DE89, and I also own a Merkur 1904 closed comb( similar to HD, but lighter, and cheaper). I have to say I like the finish on the 89 more. I get nice shaves out of both though. The 89 will have a slightly longer handle than your HD. It really depends on what you are looking for in a razor.

They are both good. I use, routinely, a Parker handle with a Muhle head (I like a longer handle). Most of the Merkur fixed-head razors work well, 'tho.

Is the Muhle head the same as the Edwin Jagger? I like the barber knurling on the Muhle better than the chromed Edwin.

I have both. If you want a razor to look at and admire, then the R89 is for you. If you want a razor with a better shave, then it has to be the 34HD. Don't get me wrong, the Muhle is a fine razor, but the Merkur, despite the lower finish, definitely is the more aggressive of the two, which I prefer. Just get both and be done with it!:001_smile

I have both. If you want a razor to look at and admire, then the R89 is for you. If you want a razor with a better shave, then it has to be the 34HD. Don't get me wrong, the Muhle is a fine razor, but the Merkur, despite the lower finish, definitely is the more aggressive of the two, which I prefer. Just get both and be done with it!:001_smile

+1

Codfish

I've got the Merkur HD and use it (along with my 1940s British Aristocrat) on a regular basis and get good results. I am planning to add a EJ or Muhle to the lineup.

Hello-

Sorry to have not kept up on razors. I've got an acute case of SBAD that I've been feeding.

Do all the Muhle-EJs closed combs DEs have the same head? I received an ivory Chatsworth for Fathers Day. Is it the same head as is being discussed on the Muhle R89?

Hello-

Sorry to have not kept up on razors. I've got an acute case of SBAD that I've been feeding.

Do all the Muhle-EJs closed combs DEs have the same head? I received an ivory Chatsworth for Fathers Day. Is it the same head as is being discussed on the Muhle R89?

Yes, it will be the same head.

If you want a razor with a better shave, then it has to be the 34HD. Don't get me wrong, the Muhle is a fine razor, but the Merkur, despite the lower finish, definitely is the more aggressive of the two, which I prefer. Just get both and be done with it!
I had better results with the DE89 paired with sharp blades. YMMV, of course.

I found it to be a much smoother shaver, it really comes to life with a feather blade in it too. The merkur is great, dont get me wrong, but for the money, make mine an EJ, no question.

It does have a smaller "angle sweet spot" IMO, but its easy to find, and works great. U cant go wrong with it, its just a great shaving investment.

Top Bottom