What's new

Dr. Bronner's

Talk to me about it. Can you really use it on your body and your hair?

Does it seem to do a good job at cleaning?

I am unsure if we are thinking of the same thing but I use the Dr. Bronners Lavender Bar and find it cleanses well. And I find the combination of oils helps moisturize pretty well too.
My hair is very short so i cant really tell you how it cleans hair. I could use hand soap on my hair and it would come out just as good.

They have soaps in liquid and bars. I use the one below as it is locally available.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I've used the Peppermint liquid soap and it works pretty well as a body/hair wash. Also gives you that chilling feeling which is a nice wakeup in the morning. Can't say how it works on the list of uses it gives like washing laundry, car, etc.

Yeah, those are the soaps I am thinking about. They advertise them as being able to do a lot of things. So I was curious as to how they did washing body and hair. I doubt I would use it to wash other stuff.

How long does one bar last? If anyone has tried both the bar and the liquid, which do you like better?

Thanks,

I LOVE DR Bronners Peppermint soap. The liquid is much better, the bar is OK but not nearly as minty! Be careful the first few times you use it around the sensitive bits, as it can tingle! It does a great job of cleaning, and you can in a pinch use it as a shampoo, and I think even a tooth paste. As a shampoo it really does seem to condition, and is gentle. It is not a rich premium conditioning shampoo, but not bad in a pinch, great for camping. For me it is either DR Bronners or Kiss My Face soap in my bath. The Peppermint would not work for me as a night time soap, as it wakes me up better than a cup of coffee. The liquid is a bit expensive. I am currently sharing a bathroom with my X-wife and 2 kids (don't ask as it is a long tale of woe!), so I have not replaced the bottle in a while as it is too expensive for me to use for the whole family, but a bottle lasts me a long time. I don't really like the other flavors as I don't think they are worth the premium over other bar soaps of the same type. I like to use it around Christmas as it just smells like candy canes!

I also have used it as a general house cleaner, but it is not great at that, though it does smell good. Also they say not to use it in a pump, and I can confirm it will plug up a pump dispenser in no time. It even can plug up the hole in the flip top too.

I don't mind trying this soap, but does anyone know where its' available in Toronto?

normally in any kind of 'hippy' natural foods store, and I found some today at Target. It's also at the local grocery stores here.

Question: is there a big difference between the regular and the 'with shea' types?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
We use Bronner's liquid soap for years now in one of these foamer thingamajig for hand soap at the sinks. Use about 1/2 oz per week in a 16 oz container. A little goes a long way. Before that, we went through the same amount of detergent soaps.
I also use the liquid soap for my hair now for over two years. The bars are also very good.

I've been using Dr. B's for years, and yes, it really does a great job of making me feel clean. It is Step #1 when I'm taking a shower, head to toe. After I rinse it off, I follow it with other products for moisturizing and/or scent.

normally in any kind of 'hippy' natural foods store, and I found some today at Target. It's also at the local grocery stores here.
Yeah, you can find it all over the place, but they often put it in a department where you wouldn't think to look for it. Its kind of an oddball product, so many stores have a hard time figuring out what category it belongs in. Ask a clerk to help you find it.

Question: is there a big difference between the regular and the 'with shea' types?
I wasn't aware that they made Dr. B's with shea butter. Is this something new? If so, I'll definitely need to check out.

I diluted Dr. Bonner's liquid eucalyptus 1:1 with water and used for a couple of weeks as a body wash and shampoo to bath twice daily. As a shampoo it is too clarifying for me (note: I have normal to slightly oily hair) and I developed some flaking of skin. As a body wash, it worked well and produced mounds of suds with a luffa.

Excellent refreshing scent!

no, i was thinking of dr woods
I've been using Dr. B's for years, and yes, it really does a great job of making me feel clean. It is Step #1 when I'm taking a shower, head to toe. After I rinse it off, I follow it with other products for moisturizing and/or scent.

Yeah, you can find it all over the place, but they often put it in a department where you wouldn't think to look for it. Its kind of an oddball product, so many stores have a hard time figuring out what category it belongs in. Ask a clerk to help you find it.

I wasn't aware that they made Dr. B's with shea butter. Is this something new? If so, I'll definitely need to check out.

I used the Bronner's on my hair for about 2 weeks, after the first few days my hair got very dry (which for me is not a very good look -- my hair seems to defy gravity sometimes). I stopped using it for a while, then got a haircut and now have much shorter hair, now it gets along with the Bronner's much better.

Dr. Bronner's is really good stuff. I have tried the almond bar and liquid, and the eucalyptus and tea tree liquid soaps. the almond and eucalyptus are great. I plan to try the unscented bar next time, as I have sensitive skin. The liquids work better for sensitive skin but I'm currently stocked on liquid and I enjoy using a bar more. Plus, it makes for a faster shower in the mornings before work.

Well, the local Giant had some Dr. Bronner's so I picked up a peppermint bar. The only other option was Lavender and I really don't like the smell of lavender. I will begin using it soon and will report back with how it is. If I like it I will probably get another scent.

I quite enjoy the baby-mild unscented liquid soap. After trying it initially I knocked it because I thought it didn't lather well. It turns out that it lathers great, its just that you need to turn the water away while you're lathering. Otherwise it rinses off too easy. I find it does a great job cleaning is easy on the skin and is relatively cheap. I actually bought a whole gallon of it. The peppermint feels a bit like icy hot, which can be a bit off-putting in the colder months. However with hot days its actually pretty nice.

I have a few bars of that, and one in use. I use it on body and hair, and face sometimes. It does very well in my opinion, though I have never really had a terrible reaction to any soap...so most work for me.

It is good, IMO.

Yes It works very well. Its Pure Castilla Soap. NO SLS. SLS is a chemical that makes foam and degreases. its used in everything from Tooth paste, your shampoos, and even degreasers. Ive been using Dr. Broners for about 6 months now, I also like Dr. Woods Castille soap. its cheaper and just as good. http://www.drwoodsproducts.com/

I get my stuff from vitacost.com Dr woods has sheabutter and cheaper as well. good stuff.

Last edited:
I've used both the bar and the liquid forms of the peppermint soap. I like the liquid much better. I use it as a face wash and it does a good job. I didn't think it did very well on my hair. It is a little to strong as a body wash for me, as in too much tingle. I actually did try it as a toothpaste, YUCK!! Just like getting your mouth washed out with soap (because that's what it is)! One bottle, I think 32oz, has lasted me over a year and I still have about 1/4 of a bottle left.

I use it as a laundry detergent in my HE machine. I have many clothes made of expensive fabrics and this helps preserve the clothes. A medium sized load is 2 tbs Bronners, 1 tbs baking soda, and I fill the 'fabric softener spot' with vinegar. I use no dryer sheets. My cotton clothing is noticeably softer using this method and it doesn't bother my allergies like detergents do.

For a shower gel/shampoo, it is okay. Its not going to change your life. Axe and the other body washes on the market are basically detergents that can be harsh to skin. Again, it doen't cause any allergic reactions like other products do.

At 13 for 32 ounce, it is pretty steep. I am single and am about halfway through after 1 month. This includes washing clothes as well.

******For body wash/shampoo, I dilute. 1/2 water and 1/2 Bronners. I read about a few other people doing this on another forum. I find Bronners is very concentrated,

Top Bottom