What's new

Dremel in place of hand sanding?

I was wondering if/how people use their dremel for removal of pitting and rust. I've always hand sanded and used the dremel at the end for a polishing touch-up. I'm wondering if it's worth trying my hand at sanding via dremel also. If so, curious what tyoe of attachments you guys use.

Thanks!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like hand sanding, but after hand sanding I use a buffer wheel and diamond paste. I start with 1u and finish with .25u. Remember once you have loaded the wheel up with coarser diamond you can't use it for finer diamond. You CAN use a wheel previously used for finer abrasive with a coarser one, though.

For serious metal removal, of course I like the dremel. I like the sanding drum thingie for anywhere I can get the proper contact with the razor. Otherwise I just dig into my box of assorted grinding wheels, cones, and balls. Then I smooth it out with a progression of different grades of wet\dry paper before buffing with the diamond paste.

I have seen a lot of evil inflicted to a razor by a Dremel tool but there are situations in which the Dremel can help :closedeye.

Al raz.

Top Bottom