What's new

Styptic Pencil Use

Occasionally, I cut my face while shaving. If a small cut, it isn't visible later. If the cut is deeper, the spot might be slightly noticeable or even quite noticeable later. There is a difference in the severity of cuts judged by the appearance of the area later.

After cutting myself, I used to finish shaving that area, or even finish the shave, then apply styptic pencil (astringent) if it hadn't stopped bleeding. Now, I apply styptic pencil immediately after a cut. I have come to believe that the cut area is more likely to be visible later the longer I wait before applying the styptic pencil. And, if I apply it immediately, more often the cut isn't visible.

Out of curiousity, have others reached the same conclusion?

(The possibility remains that I am imagining things!)

I have never owned or used one to be honest,used the tissue paper trick when i first started shaving some 37 years ago, and never nicked since, so I can't comment

I used to use it immediately after a cut, then I started using it like an alum block (a few shaves my angle was all messed up so had a lot of tiny nicks near the bottom of my neck). Now I only use it if it is a bad nick. I had one yesterday actually (those feather blades are dangerous heh) and I used it right when it happened and after, still had a spot of dried blood when I went to brush my teeth before work, not sure if it was because I used it during the shave and washed it off too soon (like rinsing between passes) or what? From my limited experience though it had always seemed to work the same, like my nicks were not anything more or less noticeable depending on when I used the pencil.

Sorry if that was a long-winded response for basically saying no it doesn't seem to make a difference for me...

I initially thought your observation was not correct. Of course, a cut shouldn't get bigger on it's own. But, thinking again, you are talking about the "appearance" of the cut. If you allow the clot to form naturally, it takes longer, and the clot itself will potentially be bigger. Using the pencil earlier causes the bleeding to stop earlier (stasis) and the subsequent clot to be smaller, hence less visible.

I don't think you're crazy... styptic stops bleeding by making blood vessels contract. If it's anything like icing an injury, the sooner you use the styptic, the less inflammation around the cut you'll have.

I wouldn't worry too much about if it does anything about scars. The main thing is you want your cuts to stop bleeding.

Top Bottom