What's new

Newbie shavette question

Hi Gents,

I've been DE shaving for about a year now and I've got an itch to try a straignt. I'm thinking of a Dovo Shavette (I got the best shave of my life with a Shavette in the hands of a skilled barber).

I've seen them at classicshaving.com. AOS has a more expensive one on their site. Is there really any difference between these two razors? I've also seen them with plastic tortise shell handles as well. Is this just cosmetic?

Thanks-

The last time that I stopped in at AOS, they had the Dovo stainless for $40. It was the same one that Classic has for $26. What I'm seeing on their sight now is a TI. The text doesn't match the razor. It mentions a hollow ground blade.

First, don't fool yourself. A shavette is not a straight. They may seem similar but in practice they are totally different. As long as you realize that then they are an easy way of sampling the straight experience without having to worry about honing and stropping and all that. Many like them.

Since a shavette is essentially a razor blade in a holder the holder itself makes no difference in the shave other than cosmetic. Possibly the size or thickness of the handle might make a difference in the way you hold it and effect the comfort factor in that sense but in theory every shavette using the same blade should shave exactly the same.

First, don't fool yourself. A shavette is not a straight. They may seem similar but in practice they are totally different. As long as you realize that then they are an easy way of sampling the straight experience without having to worry about honing and stropping and all that. Many like them.

Since a shavette is essentially a razor blade in a holder the holder itself makes no difference in the shave other than cosmetic. Possibly the size or thickness of the handle might make a difference in the way you hold it and effect the comfort factor in that sense but in theory every shavette using the same blade should shave exactly the same.

+1 The shavette is nothing more than a glorified DE blade IMO.
The experience one has with a str8 is far superior than the shavette.

Top Bottom