What's new

What's cooking?

:w00t:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh yes. It's slowly roasting in 200C (~400F).

But I made sure to get them all red hot & crispy first in the forge.

Now I just tenderize them a bit :biggrin:

I see. I use O1 for plane irons, and heat-treat at 350 for R62-64. I take it you're looking more for ease of sharpening than edge retention? A lower hardness would make for easier stropping.

Legion

Staff member
How did you quench them? Oil? I have books where the knife smith tempered in toaster ovens. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

I see. I use O1 for plane irons, and heat-treat at 350 for R62-64. I take it you're looking more for ease of sharpening than edge retention? A lower hardness would make for easier stropping.
Edge retention isn't that important in straights IMO.
And if they get to hard, there might just be an increased risk of chipping when honed to a very keen edge.
Seems like most razor makers opt for a HRC in the 60-62 range.

How did you quench them? Oil? I have books where the knife smith tempered in toaster ovens. I can't wait to see how they turn out.
Yes, canola oil in a big metal jar. Smells way better then burnt motor-oil..

They turned out fine & initial honing gave good hopes for that they have taken a good hardness.

But there was some trouble at the assembly line.
One of the workers decided to do a few last minute changes, that turned out to be fatal for the scales & hence set back the project several days.
But the blade is feeling good & just sits on the bench, anxiously waiting for some fitting pants.

Are there any concerns for outgassing while heating them in the oven? The concern I would have is for the release of toxic chemicals or metals during the process. What happens when you heat the oven to cook a meal? Even a larger concern if you have children. Would there be a coating left over that would be released during cooking.
I think a toaster over outdoors would be better. However, great work, can't wait to see how it when its finished.

Hi,
I also wanted to ask, how did you compensate for a residential stoves thermal swings? Average residential stoves can swing 30 degrees or more during each cycle.
The swings are best measured with a digital type, fast read probe. Not to mention, that if the stove hasent been recently calibrated, there's no telling what the temp is (without measuring).

I hope that's Swedish steel:001_tongu
Didja use the big ol' portable forge ?
I'm sad to say that it's American made O1.
After destroying a whole lot of domestic fine steel, I looked over some of the things I struggled with & decide to rule out a few factors by starting with precision ground steel.
And the main suppliers of Swedish steel sells by the kilo. Some by the metric ton, not much worth asking those guys about a couple of flat bar pieces...
But I found a knife-maker willing to cut & flatgrind a few pieces of Uddeholm 20C & 26C for me. Thanks H!
I should have them by next week.

And yes, I did use the "portable" forge.

Are there any concerns for outgassing while heating them in the oven? The concern I would have is for the release of toxic chemicals or metals during the process. What happens when you heat the oven to cook a meal? Even a larger concern if you have children. Would there be a coating left over that would be released during cooking.
I think a toaster over outdoors would be better. However, great work, can't wait to see how it when its finished.
No concern at all actually. After the blade cools I go over them with a wire-brush & emory-cloth to remove scale & then I wipe them down with a rag soaked in acetone.
No smell what so ever from the oven. I really have no concerns, since it's just pure metal. the whole oven is made by metal to begin with. And the heat is so low that the metal is in a fully stable state.
Hi,
I also wanted to ask, how did you compensate for a residential stoves thermal swings? Average residential stoves can swing 30 degrees or more during each cycle.
The swings are best measured with a digital type, fast read probe. Not to mention, that if the stove hasent been recently calibrated, there's no telling what the temp is (without measuring).
No compensation, just good 'ol tactic of relying on your good luck..

One of the reasons O1 is so popular among hobbyist knife-maker (& pro's to btw!)
is it's forgiving qualities.
Both in forging, grinding & heat treating it sort of let's you slip with a lot of mistakes & inaccuracies.
Many steels need exact temperatures, specific soak times & very precise tempering.
For O1 you will most probably succeed if you get the blade to cherry red-hot by using some kind of heat source, quench it in some kind of oil & then cook it at 200-300 degrees celsius for an hour or two.
99 times out of 100 that will lead to a piece of steel hard enough to take a razor sharp edge.

The AISI 10xx steel are a little bit more picky, but not by much.
Same goes for the Uddehom 2x (which is very much similar to 10xx)
I just wanna know....how do I get in line for one?
I'll talk to my sales-division & tell them to move my man Kentos up to the top of the waiting line.

I'll make sure they'´ll move you up to on the list too :w00t:.

But just so you know it, if I'm gonna be able to break even on all the hours I've put into this, & all the steel that has been turned into scrap, it will probably be way cheaper to get an Zowada or Livi :biggrin:

[video]http://youtu.be/aNUr__-VZeQ[/video]
Took an excellent edge, but somehow the Master Grinder must have slipped on the QC, because a fatal flaw was discovered in the grind, making it impossible the get the middle of the blade sharp. But outside that spot the steel was absolutely lovely, very hard, infact maybe a smidge to hard. If we can find the strength to rise above this horrible experience, we have learned a few things perhaps & will make the razors a tad less hard among other things to correct :sad:

But as for now, there will be no razors to show. Everyone who sent the $500 down-payment can contact me for a refund if desired.

:crying:

Crappy! My best work comes from failing at it the time(s) before. I'll take a 500 down payment if your handing them out :)

Top Bottom