What's new

Going to Marshalls, TJMax what to look for

I am going to Marshalls and TJMax tomorrow. When I look at the colognes what should I look for to buy? At TJMax I saw a gift box of dirty English. What is a top tier cologne to look for and what would be a good buy price wise?

Best,
Jerry

If you can get there again, I'd do a scouting trip.
Make a note of what's there then have a look at basenotes or fragrantica to see what they might be like and what others think.
Blind buys can yield some great results.

Its a crap shoot...you never know what your gonna find. Last 3 times ive been to my Marshalls there has been nothing but crap.

They often have Azzaro Pour Homme, which is an absolutely fantastic fragrance. Sort of the archetypal aromatic fougere. Very classic, very classy, very versatile. 100 ml/$20 is the standard Marshall's pricing, I think.

Giorgio of Beverly Hills Pour Homme is another they often stock, and I'm not really sold on it either way. Definitely an interesting fragrance, though.

They often have Azzaro Pour Homme, which is an absolutely fantastic fragrance. Sort of the archetypal aromatic fougere. Very classic, very classy, very versatile. 100 ml/$20 is the standard Marshall's pricing, I think.

Giorgio of Beverly Hills Pour Homme is another they often stock, and I'm not really sold on it either way. Definitely an interesting fragrance, though.

Big +1 on Azzaro PH. Amazing fragrance for the price. The only other one I would look for is Burberry London, but it is more of a cold weather scent imo.

Azzaro Pour Homme, Quorum, Grey Flannel, Guerlain Vetiver, Cool Water, Jaguar (original), Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur, Guerlain's Acqua Allegoria line, and from what I understand, even some Creeds are all possible and worthy finds at that discounter. Very likely you'll just see a lot of Guess and Ed Hardy crap, though.

Azzaro Pour Homme, Quorum, Grey Flannel, Guerlain Vetiver, Cool Water, Jaguar (original), Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur, Guerlain's Acqua Allegoria line, and from what I understand, even some Creeds are all possible and worthy finds at that discounter. Very likely you'll just see a lot of Guess and Ed Hardy crap, though.

Funny, Ed Hardy just appeared at Winners (owned by TJX). When I looked it up on Fragrantica, it got horrible reviews.
Does anyone like this stuff?

I've seen Baldessarini by Hugo Boss, 2.5oz for $19.99 recently. This is one of my favorites, and a great buy at this price. They previously had it for $24.99, still a good price for this fragrance. I also picked up a bottle of Baldessarini Ambre, which I like, but not nearly as much as the original. And I passed on Baldessarini Del Mar, as I don't usually care for aquatic/peppery scents.

All the suggestions above are great ones, including Marc's suggestion to look up the reviews and discussions on BN and Frangrantica. I've really enjoyed having my Droid phone, where I can now stand in the store and look these up while I'm looking at the bottles.

Also, you mentioned Dirty English. I picked up a single bottle in TJ Maxx, and liked the blend of cedar with a bit of vanilla, but I found that there are smoother cedar scents, like Gucci pour Homme, which was also available in TJ Maxx or Marshall's at one time, but I haven't seen them there in a year or two.

Spotted recently at Marshall's: Halston (both Z-14 and 1-12), Grey Flannel, Tommy Bahama, Azzaro Pour Homme, PS (Paul Sebastian), Quorum. All quite respectable classic fragrances at bargain prices.

I've picked up the following classics at Marshalls/TJ Maxx in the past year. All are interesting classics. I have avoided the modern Ed Hardy, Tommy Bahama stuff, not that there's much more to be had at my local stores.

Quorum ($17)
Gray Flannel ($13)
Azzuro ($20)
Halston 1-12 ($10)

All the above are nice, unique, and best of all..cheap.

I've picked up the following classics at Marshalls/TJ Maxx in the past year. All are interesting classics. I have avoided the modern Ed Hardy, Tommy Bahama stuff, not that there's much more to be had at my local stores.

Don't be so quick to knock Tommy Bahama. The "Tommy Bahama for Men" is excellent stuff and one of my favorites, and the T.B "Set Sail" varieties have excellent reviews on Basenotes.net

I found Nautica White Sail there the other day. Judging by the the package I though it was from the 80's, turns out it was made in 2008 or so. It was refreshing in a Speicky kind of way.

Don't be so quick to knock Tommy Bahama. The "Tommy Bahama for Men" is excellent stuff and one of my favorites, and the T.B "Set Sail" varieties have excellent reviews on Basenotes.net

Someone on Basenotes highly recommended Tommy Bahama to me also. I haven't tried it yet, but I wouldn't avoid that one.

It's funny, one brand I've never seen at Marshalls or TJ Maxx is Chanel.

Top Bottom