What's new

"Sport" scents - Dior Homme Sport & Allure Homme Sport

I have a slight bias against aquatic, fresh scents. I don't think I've tried "sport" scents until today, and expected they would be the same as the aquatic, fresh scents. But today I wore Dior Homme Sport on my left wrist, and Allure Homme Sport on my right wrist, and I was surprised by both. The Dior reminded me very much of Dior Eau Sauvage, especially the opening, which had a very similar strong orange/bergamot opening. The main difference I noticed is in the drydown the Sport seemed to go a little more to a creamy, vanilla-type scent, but still very smooth and rich. The AHS was more "fresh"-like, but it also had a creamy vanilla presence starting with the opening, and no citrus. Where I didn't expect to care for either one, both could be FBW, except I probably wouldn't buy the Dior because to me, it's too similar to Eau Sauvage, which I already have.

Any one else have thoughts on these, or any other "sport" scents?

proxy.php
proxy.php

Perhaps my favorite aquatic scent is Cool Water. Humm, I would have never thought of Eau Savage having an aquatic character. I need to go back and test... :confused1

Al raz.

Perhaps my favorite aquatic scent is Cool Water. Humm, I would have never thought of Eau Savage having an aquatic character. I need to go back and test... :confused1

Al raz.
I agree with you, Eau Sauvage doesn't have an aquatic character. Neither does Dior Homme Sport, to me. It doesn't have any aquatic/marine character. This may be why I like it so much. And it's not that I dislike aquatics. It's just that so many of them smell so similar to me. Neither of these has an aquatic character, to me, although the AHS does smell fresh, but not aquatic or marine, which I think of as aquatic with more saltiness.

i'm just curious if others have similar impressions of these, and if other "sport" scents are similar, without predominant aqua/marine notes.

I could not agree more with you, I tend not to like these aquatic scents with Cool Water and perhaps one or two others being the exception. I think that in part my "problem" with these scents has to do with saturation. I remember a few years back when every scent smelled the "same". I was pretty discouraged... Also, it also seemed as if their were marketed for both men and women, not that there is anything wrong with it :wink2: . Now, if you like the Eau Savage, try the Extreme version in the almost black bottle, WOW!!!! :001_smile Another scent that I feel is borderline but worth "smelling" is the Azzaro Chrome. Nice thread!!!!

Al raz.

I could not agree more with you, I tend not to like these aquatic scents with Cool Water and perhaps one or two others being the exception. I think that in part my "problem" with these scents has to do with saturation. I remember a few years back when every scent smelled the "same". I was pretty discouraged... Also, it also seemed as if their were marketed for both men and women, not that there is anything wrong with it :wink2: . Now, if you like the Eau Savage, try the Extreme version in the almost black bottle, WOW!!!! :001_smile Another scent that I feel is borderline but worth "smelling" is the Azzaro Chrome. Nice thread!!!!

Al raz.
Eau Sauvage is one of my favorites, so yes, I'll have to try the Eau Sauvage Extreme.

Randy, Randy, Randy.....

"pats on back"
:lol::lol::lol:

I haven't dabbled much with the "sport" scents and i've been tempted to try Habit Rouge Sport.
Habit Rouge is another fav, so I'll also be looking to try the sport version now. I believe I've read good comments about it, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering that correctly.

Allure Sport is very nice indeed! I was given about half a dozen sample viles a few months ago and liked it very much. Azzaro Chrome was mentioned...which is also very nice.

Oddly enough..... I went to a department store today and sampled Chanel Allure Homme Sport and purchased a bottle. I had the same impressions as the OP with regard to the scent. In a twist of irony, I blind bought the Dior Homme Sport scent online this afternoon after having purchased the AHS bottle. I bought the Dior scent based on positive reviews and I like what I hear about any potential similarity to Eau Sauvage..... since that is a favorite of mine as well.

I took a chance on the dry down of the AHS, but it worked out very nicely. I really like the drydown after a few hours. It's a very pleasant scent and unique all around. I'm hoping I'm as pleased with DHS as I am with AHS.

Ben

These are the only two sport scents I own (and the only ones worth owning imo).
AHS wins out between the two for me. It has a complexity that DHS does not have. Mostly what I get from the Dior is lemon.
It's a classy lemon, but that's still 95% of what I get from it. AHS on the other hand has all kind of interesting things going on.
Out of the two, I recommend AHS if you're going to purchase only one.

Are you talking about the reformulated DHS or the original. I have the original DHS and it is lemon/ginger, very nice. The reform is toned down lemon/ginger with an iris/clay/makeup accord. Two totally different fragrances

Are you talking about the reformulated DHS or the original. I have the original DHS and it is lemon/ginger, very nice. The reform is toned down lemon/ginger with an iris/clay/makeup accord. Two totally different fragrances

Dior Homme Sport 2012 is what I ordered..... not the Dior Homme Sport 2008.

Ben

Usually "Sport" signifies watered down juice, take the heavy stuff out and replace with safe smelling citrus. Many sport scents are better avoided like the plague since they are made to not cause offence rather than to impress. There are exceptions. DHS is one of the better sport scents outthere.

I have both DHS 2008 and Eau Sauvage (and a few Eau Sauvage flankers), and love both. DHS has the beautiful freshly-cut lemon-ginger opening whereas Eau Sauvage has a bitter and green opening. I don't get many similarities between the two and the drydown of both is very different, hence I own both. Each has its place. Don't forget that DHS has better longevity if that's an important property to you. Eau Sauvage's joy is shorter-lived, but a reapplication solves that.

Top Bottom