What's new

Delayed Razor Burn

Is it common, if one gets razor burn/irritation, for it to occur several hours after a shave? When I get irritation (and I can generally figure out what I did to get it) it usually happens starting about noon to 4 pm, when I generally shave about 8 am. My face and neck feel great right after, and for a few hours after, every shave (and often-times all day). I'm just curious about others' experience with timing of razor burn/irritation. And, here's to everyone NEVER getting it at all!

I have had it happen a few times over the years. I just get some WH or some Barbarsol to keep at work to use if it happens. Witch Hazel works great for me on this.

Are you using a good after shave?

I switch it up a bit, but I usually use Ogallala Double Strength/Reserve Bay Rum. I like the burn/tingle and don't find it excessive. It trails off in about 10 minutes and leaves my face feeling smooth.

I have had it happen a few times over the years. I just get some WH or some Barbarsol to keep at work to use if it happens. Witch Hazel works great for me on this.

Yep, I will use witch hazel for this when it happens. I also use it after the shave, let it dry, then use after shave/cologne.

i had this happen when I tried derby blades, the shave itself went fine but the irration afterwards was enough for me to stop using derbys.

Interesting, does the entire face and neck become red or only some areas?

Al raz.

If it happens, it is always my neck. It can be right, left, or both. It happens when I use too much pressure, or am experimenting with different blades or angles. The odd thing is, I can't remember it happening until several hours after the shave...ever. It is not a daily occurrence, but happens enough that I thought I'd bring it up. I usually use a Futur at 5 with a Feather and do fine. Today I tried a Derby and used too much pressure, thus the thread. I can usually nail down what I did to cause it, but I find it interesting that it takes a few hours to set in. Maybe the positive effects of my post shave routine (witch hazel and aftershave) just start to wear off.

I used to get some delayed irritation, but it usually showed up about a half-hour after the shave, and would last pretty much all day. This would occur even after a shave I thought was perfectly fine.

It was early on in my B&B experience, though, when alcohol-based aftershaves stung after the shave. However, the irritation would occur on days when I didn't use an alcohol splash.

It doesn't happen anymore.

So, in summary, I think it is a delayed reaction to a harsh shave.

I agree, it is certainly technique related. I'll bet it disappears as I gain more experience with a DE too. I just thought it unusual to happen so many hours after a shave.

Thank you for taking the time. I was asking because it would make sense that razor burn should not affect the entire face equally, I mean, hopefully :001_unsur. I wanted to distinguish between abrasion, chemical burns or contact dermatitis. Chemical burns should be evenly distributed for the most part and contact dermatitis too, except when it results from lack of rinsing lather or other products from certain areas.

If you can track it down to a particular experiment, you are likely correct in your diagnosis. The redness, one of the signs of acute inflammation, is not the burn but rather the response of your body to it. The signs of acute inflammation can take several hours to develop depending on the severity of the stimulus, among other factors. The process is complicated but suffice to say that histamines are released and blood vessels are dilated, which results in increased blood flow and redness.

Al raz.

If it happens, it is always my neck. It can be right, left, or both. It happens when I use too much pressure, or am experimenting with different blades or angles. The odd thing is, I can't remember it happening until several hours after the shave...ever. It is not a daily occurrence, but happens enough that I thought I'd bring it up. I usually use a Futur at 5 with a Feather and do fine. Today I tried a Derby and used too much pressure, thus the thread. I can usually nail down what I did to cause it, but I find it interesting that it takes a few hours to set in. Maybe the positive effects of my post shave routine (witch hazel and aftershave) just start to wear off.

Thank you for taking the time. I was asking because it would make sense that razor burn should not affect the entire face equally, I mean, hopefully :001_unsur. I wanted to distinguish between abrasion, chemical burns or contact dermatitis. Chemical burns should be evenly distributed for the most part and contact dermatitis too, except when it results from lack of rinsing lather or other products from certain areas.

If you can track it down to a particular experiment, you are likely correct in your diagnosis. The redness, one of the signs of acute inflammation, is not the burn but rather the response of your body to it. The signs of acute inflammation can take several hours to develop depending on the severity of the stimulus, among other factors. The process is complicated but suffice to say that histamines are released and blood vessels are dilated, which results in increased blood flow and redness.

Al raz.

Wow Al, talk about being generous with time! I'll bet I know what you do for a living. Maybe I need a mast cell phoresis! :w00t:

I occasionally get razor burn like everyone else, but for my skin, it's usually delayed until my 5-o'clock shadow comes in. And it's seldom irritated, mostly shows up as pimples instead, though there are certainly not as much as if I shave with a Fusion or similar. (Of course. XD) It's almost always the EdT or aftershave I use. The only one that seems to always agree with my skin is NfMS. And maybe Givenchy's Pi.

I get delayed razor burn when I use too much pressure. For me, it always peaks 2 hours after my shave. I've timed it more than once and it's quite consistent. I had no idea that the timing of the delayed burn varied so much between shavers.

Well, I learned quite a bit from this thread. I didn't realize that razor burn/irritation could take up to hours to develop. A delayed inflammatory response makes perfect sense, considering the symphony of things that must happen to cause it. That, and using a good post shave routine to further delay the process, has brightened my dim bulb a little. Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies!

It's like the real-estate agents say, "The three most important things are location, location, and technique".

I get burn occasionally after a shave, but it usually starts about an hour afterwards, not several hours later. Also, I'm not sure if it is technique related or not, or how much is technique. I've been experimenting with blades using a new blade twice then swapping it out for another brand. I've noticed that some blades give me two completely, or nearly completely burn free shaves. Others leave me with some burn on both of the shaves. If it happened once than it might be technique or lather. But for me, some blades have been smooth both times while others have left burn both times. So I'm thinking the blade is making some of the burn happen. For example just tried all three Russian made 7 O'Clocks. All three seemed really sharp and gave me a really close shave. But the Yellows and the Blues were burn-free while the Greens gave me some of the worst burn I've had. If I used a blade like this longer I might change my technique to leave less burn but I suspect it would be at the expense of getting a less close shave. Right now in my blade comparisons I'm trying to narrow down the large variety of blades I've got to a handful that give me both a close and a smooth, burn-free shave. Then I'll go back and take a much closer look at that smaller set of blades to pick 2 or 3 to use regularly.

Top Bottom