What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street vs. Geo F. Trumpers Shaving Creams

I am considering purchasing either TOBS or Geo F. Trumpers. I would graciously appreciate what you all can tell me about the differences in each cream such as: latherability, scent, cost, value. I have only used the Trufitt& Hill sampler pack and enjoyed it but buying a tub of T&H is a lot to pay. Also, what is the opinion of DR Harris (scent, cost, shave etc)?

Thank you so much for your help B&B ers:)

Best,
Jerry

I can tell you that the TOBS sandalwood is great. The scent is not too strong (I work in a kitchen and sense of smell is really important so this is a big feature for me). It lathers very nicely, I find, for me, that it is hard to mess it up (as a shaving newbie this is great for me lol). I am literally just about to click on buy for some Trumpers cream right now heh. I am sure others on this board have used both and will be able to give you a much quicker answer, but at the end of the week I should be able to compare the two at least from my stand point :) .

I would appreciate your feedback on both Trumpers and TOBS. Are you a chef? Keep up the great work!

Just a cook now, just started about a year ago, working my way up :) . And yeah I ordered the sampler from the Geo F. Trumper website that was recommended in another thread (it is 8GBPS and free shipping to the US, hard to pass that up lol). Haven't shipped anything over seas in a while so not sure how long it will take to get here, hopefully within a week or two :) .

Well what do you know, my first post...

I have both, TOBS Sandalwood, and Trumpers Coconut.
My preference goes out to the Trumpers, but that may be because I've acquired that at a later time...

Scent of both are good imo, but the Trumpers coconut is a scent that you either like or don't like I reckon. I personally like it very much, but I can see how someone would find it smelling a bit synthetic from the tub. However on the face, it smells just great! The sandalwood of TOBS smells great too, it's got that scent you would associate with a classy shave at the barbershop.
I would say, try to get a sample, scent of both is good, not too strong not too faint, but still a matter of taste.

On lather ability I would vote for the Trumpers, with just a bit of cream it makes wicked, slick and smooth lather. I do find it dries somewhat fast, but that's just me shaving too slow ha-ha.
The TOBS makes nice lather too, but I have to use some more cream as with the Trumpers and the lather isn't as slick as from the Trumpers, but still just fine to shave with and enough to make multiple passes with a normal amount of cream. Definitely not the case that one needs to use excessive amount of cream!

As far as value goes, both are worth the money I think. Trumpers is more expensive, but does give me a better shave because it is slicker as the TOBS and it lasts somewhat longer as the TOBS.
I haven't tried any T&H products yet, but I think you should ask people about those too, because a T&H tub is about the same price as a Trumpers is.

very similar, although i find Truefitt & Hill's scents to be more muted than the other 2. Keep in mind that if you buy directly from truefitt and hill you can use the B&B discount code to get 15% off. At the end of the day, I think Truefitt & Hill and Trumpers are very comparable in price. Taylors was and always will be best bang for the buck. I find that Trumpers lathers up a bit thicker but that Truefitt is a bit slicker and provides a slightly better shave/closer cut. Scent is very personal. I very much enjoy the scent of Trumpers Limes and Rose, although the rose is very red. Truefitt's rose is also very nice and not as bright. Both have excellent reputations. If I had to choose one tub from between Taylors, Trumpers and Truefitt, at this time, I'd probably get a tub of Truefitt Rose shaving cream.

Enter BB11 when checking out :001_smile

I didn't know about it, but found that out by searching around a bit, so no courtesy here, haven't tried it (yet).

OT:
Now I feel the urge to buy something from T&H, but I also want to try Razorock xxx... But Acca Kappa is also waiting for me to be ordered.. Then there is QCS, really want to try those tallow soaps there...And what about CF Limes... hmmm, decisions, decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
I prefer TOBS over Trumpers, but that doesn't mean you will. I recommend going for samples when available. You'll save money in the long run. Here's the B&B list of vendor discounts.

I have tried most of the TOBS varieties and I have tried about half of the Trumpers. I find the Trumpers to be a little bit better, but the TOBS is a better value and has a bigger variety in scents, depending on what you are looking for. Trumpers sampler is a good deal if you want to sample some EDTs as well as creams and their skin foods.

You've tried the T&H sampler? Good. You can also get a sampler from Trumpers. You'll get lots of goodies in the sampler and will have lots of trumpers creams to try. Then all you need is a few TOBS samples and you can make up your own mind. After all what other people like most might not be what you like both. I've gone through half of the T&H and Trumpers samplers, and have 3 TOBS creams. There are distinct differences, but I like them all.

I've tried four TOBS creams and both the T&H and Trumper samplers. My personal opinion is that Trumper's performance(especially Coconut Oil) is a little better than TOBS and both are slightly better than T&H. Scent-wise I would definitely go with TOBS and T&H overall. If I had to get one cream from either of them(or over any for that matter) I'd go with Trumper's Coconut Oil. Amazing stuff.

TOBS & Trumper's are both good. I find that the TOBS line is a bit easier to apply for face lathering while the Trumper's creams are a bit harder in consistency. I really like the TOBS Eton College, Mr. Taylor & the subtle scent of Jermyn Street.

Last edited:
I've tried samplers of T&H, Trumpers and TOBS (almost every scent). TOBS is by far the best in my opinion.

TOBS>Trumpers>T&H

To be honest I thought Truefitt&Hill's creams were terrible.

I can tell you that the TOBS sandalwood is great. The scent is not too strong (I work in a kitchen and sense of smell is really important so this is a big feature for me). It lathers very nicely, I find, for me, that it is hard to mess it up (as a shaving newbie this is great for me lol). I am literally just about to click on buy for some Trumpers cream right now heh. I am sure others on this board have used both and will be able to give you a much quicker answer, but at the end of the week I should be able to compare the two at least from my stand point :) .

What type of food is served where you work? I had a good friend years ago who worked in a busy Italian place in Manhattan, went to see him work one night, was like an assembly line in a auto plant. It looked crazy.

Speaking of TOBS, does anyone own both Shaving Shop and T&H Grafton? Are they fairly close in scent? I've heard that Mr. Taylor is the closest to Grafton, but was curious about Shaving Shop.

I prefer TOBS over Trumpers, but that doesn't mean you will. I recommend going for samples when available. You'll save money in the long run. Here's the B&B list of vendor discounts.

I will say after trying samples of both, the TOBS Eton College, Jermyn Street and Mr. Taylor all are very nice and more modern scents in my opinion. By that I mean they are not just a classic scent like you get from some of the others, I actually would wear an Eton College or Mr. Taylor cologne and feel my age (29). Can't say that for some other other British soaps/creams I have tried though still enjoy (CF colognes and EdT just seem old to me, maybe when I am 55-60 I will be into them).

Crap, forgot to add that yes you need a touch more TOBS but all of them lather well and give excellent protection.

What type of food is served where you work? I had a good friend years ago who worked in a busy Italian place in Manhattan, went to see him work one night, was like an assembly line in a auto plant. It looked crazy.

I work at an upscale burger restaurant. We shoot for ticket times of under 10 minutes at lunch and under 12 at dinner. Unfortunately people order burgers well done so sometimes those times get a bit higher than they should be but on our last really busy day I don't think we hit over 16 minutes so not too bad :) .

On a side note, I am still watching this thread and eagerly awaiting my GFT sampler to come in the mail, so I will let you know as soon as I do Talltexan.

I've heard that Mr. Taylor is the closest to Grafton, but was curious about Shaving Shop.

Mr Taylor and Grafton are very similar, but Shaving Shop is nothing like them. It's a funny scent, I like it, I find it similar to Jermyn St but stronger. Shaving Shop is probably the best performer for me out of the TOBS range.

Top Bottom