What's new

TTO Mechanism Jammed

I have an aluminium British Aristocrat #22 - not a razor I want to muck around with! The TTO is so stiff as to be non-functioning.

To date I have:
  • soaked overnight (twice) in a combination of hot water and dishwashing liquid (some gunk came out)
  • boiled in a similar solution for three hours (brought to boil them simmered in the pan)
  • run through eight minute cycles in my ultrasonic cleaner ten times

Unfortunately it is still stuck!

The only time it worked for me was when I took it out a couple of times during the boiling process. Obviously the heat had expanded the metal and I was just able to get it to turn enough to open and shut.

I suspect the previous owner may have used some pliers to try and loosen - some slight marks on the handle - I'm not keen to make the same mistakes.

Remembering that this is rhodium plated aluminium for the handle any suggestions for fixing this? I want to be very careful and NOT damage the plating.

It is too nice a beauty to just sit around on show and not be usable.

Mark,

Make sure that the doors aren't jamming against the inside of the guard. Sometimes the guard gets bent in and it can feel like a sticky TTO.

$IMG_3652.jpg

This on has a gap between the door kicker and the inside of the guard and there should be some gap, even the smallest gap is good.

-jim

You might also try a soak in a solution of CLR and warm water. Later, work the TTO several times while submerged in the soak, then work it while rinsing down the post hole under hot tap water (inverting to drain several times). Repeat the whole process as needed, and hopefully you'll dislodge any petrified shaving cream that might be in the way.

This worked for me on a badly-stuck Lady G, yielding a great "A-Ha!" moment during the hot tap rinse. Of course, I was also able to run the hot water up the hole in the bottom of the handle....

You might also try a soak in a solution of CLR and warm water. Later, work the TTO several times while submerged in the soak, then work it while rinsing down the post hole under hot tap water (inverting to drain several times). Repeat the whole process as needed, and hopefully you'll dislodge any petrified shaving cream that might be in the way.

This worked for me on a badly-stuck Lady G, yielding a great "A-Ha!" moment during the hot tap rinse. Of course, I was also able to run the hot water up the hole in the bottom of the handle....

Is aluminium and CLR a good combination? I know it's pretty darn strong, but it didn't bother the anodizing on your Lady Gillette? Just asking, I've only used it on chromed bathroom fixtures myself.

-jim

Is aluminium and CLR a good combination? I know it's pretty darn strong, but it didn't bother the anodizing on your Lady Gillette? Just asking, I've only used it on chromed bathroom fixtures myself.

-jim

Ah, good point. Owner Jelmar DOES warn that it will take the finish off aluminum! Sorry for the reckless advice, Mark!

I didn't see a problem on the Lady G, but I made the solution pretty weak. I mostly filled a glass baking dish with warm water, then just dropped in a measure of CLR by eyeball. It was probably a 10:1 mix or thereabouts, and I only soaked it for a few minutes.

If soaking in oil overnight and everything else fails and you are feeling especially brave, and desperate, you could try this. You mention that you could get it to work momentarily when you boiled it. If you can repeat this, you could try jamming the barn doors shut and using pliers, with appropriate padding to avoid damage to the knob, twist the knob. Given enough pressure, and presuming the screw mechanism isn't too weakened by corrosion, this will pop the head off which will release the entire screw mechanism. This will reveal any corrosion inside the handle or on the screw. I'm guessing there is electrolytic corrosion caused by the different metals of the handle and the screw interacting. If you can carefully clean the corrosion away and lubricate the screw with something like silicon grease, you can reassemble it and it should pop back pretty well and function smoothly. I had a similar razor that came apart spontaneously when I was cleaning it. Realigning the head is a bit tricky and difficult to describe, but not too hard to accomplish and the razor should then operate smoothly. I'm describing my own experience and you will want to make your own risk assessment as to whether this is an appropriate path for you given your confidence in your own skills and the value of the razor. Good luck!

Last edited:
Once I used machine oil and it worked. It solvents the scum inside of the razor if you twist the knob from side to side repeatedly.

I'm a believer!

I've never used penetrating oil before, the closest thing I've tried is WD-40 which is pretty weak.

Anyway I got some from the local auto shop, none of the brands mentioned were avaialble in Australia, and initially spayed down the centre post and gently used multi-grips covered in thick cloth (don't want to mark it like was previously done) and shifted it back and forth. Eventually it became a little looser and with no damage done to the plating by now I decided to just give is a long soak.

Found a container of a suitable size, sprayed about half a can of the stuff around the razor to fill it up to be completely covered and left it overnight.

Went back this morning and checked it out. After a little initial stiffness it now hand turns sweetly and easily and given the colour of the liquid around it I think it did some serious work.

This razor must have had a hard life. It shows signs of corrosion under the head and it really was stuck firm. I'm really glad that I've been able (with your help) to give it new life!

I already have an aluminium #66 in a Coronation case so this baby will be up on the B/S/T at some stage to find a new home.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all that provided advice in restoring this baby.

So glad you got it going again- now with normal use there will be enough of a soap buildup inside the handle to lubricate the screw mechanism- and if not, just repeat the penetrating oil.

So glad you got it going again- now with normal use there will be enough of a soap buildup inside the handle to lubricate the screw mechanism- and if not, just repeat the penetrating oil.

Thanks - so am I. It would have been such a shame for a beauty like this to not be able to be used.

Top Bottom