What's new

Yardley English Lavender hand soap as shaving soap? Yes indeed!

There have been many posts over the years of people trying hand soaps as shaving soaps. The general concensus is that they don't lather well.

Ah, but I challenge that with Yardley English Lavender hand soap.

On a larf, I decided to give it a go.
I face lathered it and it produced a lot of slick lather.
I had a very nice shave using a GEM Damaskeen and GEM blade.

If you have some, give it a try.
You can get it for $1 a bar at Dollarama or Dollar Tree.

Here's a pic of the soap.
Maybe tomorrow I'll post a pic of the lather (if I remember)

proxy.php

I am using Whole Foods Green Tea bath soap for my showers now, and I'm pretty sure I could work up a good shave lather with it.

I imagine the body soaps I got from Queen Charlotte could be used as shaving soap in a pinch, some are already tallow based and have near the same ingredients. They sure smell nice, might be worth a try one of these days.

Here's a few pics.
Quickly done with a Rooney Super.
I forgot how much that brush sucks up the lather.

Remember, it is hand soap, not shaving soap. Still, I think that's pretty good lather.

Attachments

• $P1020077 (Small).JPG
    $P1020077 (Small).JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 438
  • $P1020079 (Small).JPG
    $P1020079 (Small).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 445
  • $P1020080 (Small).JPG
    $P1020080 (Small).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 443
Why not try it using the technique suggested in 1913 for/by Ivory soap--use the bar like a shaving soap stick-rub over your face, work up a lather, then rinse off the lather from you face and relather with the soap in the brush. I did it with ivory and it worked fine-it looks as if this soap would work very well.

Why not try it using the technique suggested in 1913 for/by Ivory soap--use the bar like a shaving soap stick-rub over your face, work up a lather, then rinse off the lather from you face and relather with the soap in the brush. I did it with ivory and it worked fine-it looks as if this soap would work very well.

and I bet it would smell just like Arko!!!! (not a put-down, I like Arko)...

I shaved again with it today.
Used a DE which I haven't done in a long time.
The lather is very slick and I had no problems.
The cushion is there, but I'd be more concerned about the lather breaking down too quickly.
That's most likely to be expected from a hand soap.
Anyway, I'm going to trade in my Trumpers for this stuff, it's just worth a try.

I have used the Yardley Cocoa Butter soap to make an uberlather with the VdH Deluxe soap. Lather did fine, though was not appreciably different than the VdH by itself.

Lather a little too bubbly, probably accounts for the more rapid breakdown of the lather versus a good shave soap. Still, for a hand soap not too bad.

Of all the body soaps I've lathered, I'd have to say Hugo Naturals and Whole Foods make the most luxurious-looking lather that would likely provide the most cushion. Still not quite up to the standard set by a good shave soap, but pretty good lathers, nonetheless.

Top Bottom