What's new

Fine handwriting for fine pens?

I'm not going to lie - my handwriting is flat out bad. Even though most of our non-verbal communication is now done electronically, I still think handwriting shows you a lot about the person.

How would I improve my handwriting? The last time I did any "writing practice" was way back in grade school.

Legion

Staff member
I downloaded a schoolbook from the turn of the century off the net. I can't remember the name at the moment, but google, there are lots of them.

Palmer method? That sounds familiar. Google that. It was recommended on FPN.

A fountain pen helps me as well.

I can't read my own handwriting most of the time.
SWMBO has given up trying. She just asks right away what it says on the paper.

But that doesn't stop me from enjoying my pens. :laugh:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
In the past and using cheap pens (Skillcafts from the Army), my hand writting has been compared as nothing more than 'chicken scratch'. :crying:

But using my Montblanc Rollerball "Starwalker" pen (engraved with my name and been with me over seven [7] years...around $275-$300 range), which I enjoy immensely because of it's weight, large diameter and ease of writing has definitely and greatly improved my writting in terms of style and readability.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I firmly beleive that by holding a fine writting instrument intuitively (or think of past writters and style), causes one to creativily pause for thought and thus 'slow' down one's writting speed akin to equating a fine writting instrument with finer writting.

Try this test...write with a cheap writting instrument vs. a fine writting instrument (try as you may, but you can't write 'chicken scratch' with a fountain pen), and you'll see the difference. :yesnod:

Christopher
proxy.php
"The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium". Norbet Platt

Last edited:
Practice, as they say, makes perfect. If you want to improve your handwriting, take some time out of your day to focus on your writing. You may begin by simply making individual letters or writing out the alphabet. Take your time and make each letter as legible as possible. You might then want to simply copy down sentences. When I practice, I'll find a website with a lot of writing (B&B does the trick, incidentally) and just start copying. The words aren't what matters, just that you're focusing on their legibility.

As others have stated, your writing instrument really does make a difference. Your average Bic ballpoint is too skinny to be gripped well and the uniform thickness doesn't help. Add that to the fact that ballpoints require a decent amount of downward force to be applied in order to write and your fine motor skills are diminished. On a budget, I'd suggest the Pilot G-2 gel rollerball pen. They can be found for around $1 each. I use them on the rare occasion I forget to pack my fountain pen. The G-2 is a bit wider than the average Bic and it's got a nice ergonomic grip section to hold onto. The ink inside is very nice as well. They require very little pressure to write, which should encourage your handwriting.

My SWMBO the first grade teacher compares my writing at times to her students and at other times to a work of art, I guess I have split writing personality disorder.

Join the Fountain Pen Network, they have a forum on penmanship that should be able to help! Also starts you on another AD in case you don't have enough:w00t:

Tom

I'm not going to lie - my handwriting is flat out bad. Even though most of our non-verbal communication is now done electronically, I still think handwriting shows you a lot about the person.

How would I improve my handwriting? The last time I did any "writing practice" was way back in grade school.

My penmanship is almost illegible. However, that is not to say that it is not stylistic or good looking.

Yes you could buy a book on penmanship and practice. But, honestly are going to really do that? Me neither.

My advice would be to: invest in an attractive fountain pen (whatever pen you find appealing) but the caveat is that it be available in a flexible nib (or at the very least semi-flex). Once you get the feel of a great nib you will automatically do the two things you need to have good penmanship, write more slowly and write with a larger font.

I worked the other way around. Picture what you want your writing to look like, try it out, and compromise on the final product.

My writing used to be terrible. Since writing was such a big part of my job and I did it everyday I got better with practice or my boss would not be very happy. I also found pens that I could write well with after trying. For me it didn't necessarily matter the cost. Some of the cheapest pens write well for me. The biggest thing was to slow down and write bigger.

Ryan

I downloaded a schoolbook from the turn of the century off the net. I can't remember the name at the moment, but google, there are lots of them.

Palmer method? That sounds familiar. Google that. It was recommended on FPN.

A fountain pen helps me as well.

Palmer Method...I'll look this up, thanks.

Join the Fountain Pen Network, they have a forum on penmanship that should be able to help! Also starts you on another AD in case you don't have enough:w00t:

Tom

!! I'll pay them a visit very very soon! (I find a forum with a lot of users dedicated to a certain subject is a gold mine of information)

I'm pretty good with ADs. I have 1 razor, 1 cream & 2 brushes for different needs. I am bored by my own practicality. :w00t:

I worked the other way around. Picture what you want your writing to look like, try it out, and compromise on the final product.

hmm...that's a great idea, but I don't know if a half cursive and half regular lettering would mix well together. But hey, handwriting is personal, right? :wink2:

The FPN has helped me go from chicken scratch to doing my son's graduation announcement addresses and getting comments on the "beautiful" handwriting. In my case using broad and flex nibs along with lots of practice on guide sheets was the key. You can download guide sheets here.. There are lots of videos and lessons on penmanship here.

For those wanting to improve their penmanship I can suggest, Kate Gladstone. I have used her and have improved my handwriting. Also, the book Write Now is a great practice workbook. http://handwritingrepair.info/ is Kate's website. The book is by another person. I have the book, but haven't practiced it in some time.

I find that using a FP has slowed me down a bit and gives me a reason to focus on my four grade-school years at a Northeast Philly Catholic grade school. :) I used to get "A"s in penmanship but that was mostly motivated by fear. :001_tongu

For those wanting to improve their penmanship I can suggest, Kate Gladstone. I have used her and have improved my handwriting. Also, the book Write Now is a great practice workbook. http://handwritingrepair.info/ is Kate's website. The book is by another person. I have the book, but haven't practiced it in some time.

Great thread in general. I have been trying to "get back" into some Spencerian penmanship, but it ain't easy! I think the exercise help my regular handwriting even if I will never be able to do Spencarian.

Am I correct that Gladstone is doing sort of a modified italcs printing? Seems like there is a lot of modern thinkin that printing, not cursive or connected letters, is the way to go for legibility and ease of writing, and is as fast if not faster than cursive. Somehow does not seem to be the same thing as good penmanship though.

Not sure I understand the big dispute between Palmer and Spencarian folks either. I think what I would like is a Spencerian "business hand" style. Some of the Palmer capital letters seem kind of ugly to me!

This site has some good tips on improving ones handwriting: http://paperpenalia.com/handwriting.html

When I was teaching myself to write left handed (I was bored, and it seemed like a fun thing to do) I did a google search for handwriting practice paper, and that turned up a bunch of the kinds of paper I used back in grade school to practice. They exist for both print and cursive. You can probably even buy them at your local education/school supply store. I think target even has them as well.

Well just a few tips I use to improve quality of my handwriting.

I like a heavy pen on a combo of (tip of pen or nib, kind of ink if FP and paper) that will give the most glide possible. My hand writing also varies a lot based on what I'm writing with, from unreadable by most people to childly but very readable and sometimes very clean looking.

For me the best combo is a fully metallic heavy FP with a very smooth medium sized nib and any quality paper (not copy machine paper). When correctly match it's almost like if there is grease at the tip of the pen :)

Go to Briem.net download the hand writing repair presentation. Even if you opt not to stay with the Italic hand presented there, your hand writing will improve. The information is good, and there are some nice practice pages at the end.

YMMV

Top Bottom