What's new

Feather artist/kai captian: FOLDING or NON-FOLDING?

Feather Artist/Kai Captain Folding or Non-Folding?

• Folding

• Non-Folding

Results are only viewable after voting.
So which do you prefer? Folding or non-folding and why?

I am a fairly new wet shaver. At 21, I don't have to shave all the time, so I don't get everyday practice in,usually only twice a week. Also I have what I would call a very angular face/course beard. I have been shaving with a merkur 34c and derbys until I realized that it was the blade and not my technique that was horrible. I now use feathers and the difference is night and day. I have a parker shavette and I definitely like the feel of using a straight type razor, though it proves challenging with my angular face/jaw. I have decided that I do not have the money nor time to strop and hone a traditional straight so it appears the japanese injectors are the best option. I am rather indifferent between the two brands, but I have no idea whether I should get a folding or non-folding. To be honest I kind of like the more traditional look of the folding but obviously ease of use and performance are more important.

So first, would you advise a feather artist type razor? If so which style?

Non folding all the way!

It gives you a very different way to shave than any folding straight can. The way grip it allows many variations.

I have both the folding and the non folding from Feather and Kai.

Both are excellent, and have their place. I use both but I tend to reach for the folding more often.

Funny, I was going to ask this question.
I use a Feather DX folding and I love it.
I guess I'll need to pick up a non folding one to see the difference.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Having both, I would say you need both. If only one, it doesn't matter as both are good, like blond or brunette, T or A, Bruce Lee or Jacki Chan etc.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
:blushing:Ah spelling mistake..I know its Jackie Chan. BTW, useless trivia, but my father met him years ago in Taiwan when he first started making movies, and Jackie was called Longan, translated as dragon eye, by all his friends because he had just had the double eye lid surgery done. I don't know about now, but when I was going to school in Japan he was so hugely popular that girls committed suicide when it was reported that he had a girlfriend...since then he has been very private about his love life.

:blushing:Ah spelling mistake..I know its Jackie Chan. BTW, useless trivia, but my father met him years ago in Taiwan when he first started making movies, and Jackie was called Longan, translated as dragon eye, by all his friends because he had just had the double eye lid surgery done. I don't know about now, but when I was going to school in Japan he was so hugely popular that girls committed suicide when it was reported that he had a girlfriend...since then he has been very private about his love life.

Wow! :ohmy: I was just saying that it has to be Bruce Lee all the way. :thumbup1:

thanks guys. I just don't want to make an expensive mistake. Sound like I can't go wrong with either, and I definitely prefer the aesthetics and attributes of the folding. I guess my main concern is ease of use. I have never really used a straight razor, would a non-folding be easier to use?

I have never really used a straight razor, would a non-folding be easier to use?

The non-folding might feel easier to use initially, but as you WILL end up buying a "real" straight eventually, you might as well learn to handle a folding right away :wink:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The non-folding might feel easier to use initially, but as you WILL end up buying a "real" straight eventually, you might as well learn to handle a folding right away :wink:

Wise words from a "been there, done that" shaver. Very few come away unscathed by the ADs of straights. You will buy the folding, then wonder if the non-folding would have been better, or vice versa..there is also the feather ac SS that Telly has a group buy running for, both available in folding and nonfolding. At 135.00 shipped for an all stainless Feather, with the latest Japanese shaving innovation, that may be the best bet....but you still need to decide, folding or not. Folding real straights can be as cheap as 30.00. Real nonfolders go for 100.00+. Maybe get a nonfolding feather.

I can't vote because I only have a folding.
Ok, that does it, I'm off to the other thread to put in for a non folding.
You guys are hard on my wallet.... geez. (sorry, I have to blame thank someone!)

Wow that SS looks great, definitely want one. Kentos you make a good point. At the moment I don't feel like the trad straight route is feasible, but I doubt I'll be able to hold off for too long... Really its just the classic look of the folding I prefer. To me the non-folding just doesn't ooze traditional manliness like the folding does.

Unfortunately, I got caught up in RAD last night. I was weak and second guessing the whole feather straight thing (mainly because I have had trouble--read blood loss--on my neck and jaw with the parker shavette) and I bought at Merkur 39c slant hoping it would be the answer to my problems. I'm still really concerned that I will be able to effectively use any straight on my neck since its angular--or just how much practice(blood loss) will have to occur. I have no problem and love using the parker on my face, and when I pick up my 34c de after using it I feel like I just stepped from a sports car into a camry. Hopefully the SS will be the ticket, and hopefully I will have enough money to buy one from telly after last nights hasty purchase, but lets face it, I'm sure the purchase is inevitable.

Thanks again for all the advice guys!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
:thumbup1: all the debating and agonizing over what to buy is half the fun in my opinion!!

I have both and like both, but I am coming to the opinion that the non-folding is easier to use but harder to store.

--james

I have both and like both, but I am coming to the opinion that the non-folding is easier to use but harder to store.

--james
+1 I agree with that.

BTW I voted folding in the poll but meant to choose non-folding. Good reasons can be given for choosing either one, but since you will probably find yourself with a traditional folding straight soon enough, you might want to experience the non-folding version with disposable blades.

Top Bottom