What's new

Tuxedo tie

So I'm getting married this November, and I'm planning on buying a tux. Question for those in the know...I'm planning on a white long tie...is the long tie I would wear with a tux different from the one I would wear with my usual suits?

Thanks in advance!

I would vastly recommend askandyaboutclothes.com should you want to 'be in the know' on these things. Also, the proprietor of the site, Andy (duh!), has compiled a LARGE encyclopedia that (over)explains all types of men's dress. You wouldn't be doing yourself a disservice to own it.

In short, wearing a long white tie with a tuxedo is a faux pas and quite incorrect. A dinner suit (tuxedo), is a pretty rigid set of guidelines meant for evening (after 6pm) formal wear. Should the event be taking place during the day, your formalwear options expand to the point you could wear a long tie.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
So I'm getting married this November, and I'm planning on buying a tux. Question for those in the know...I'm planning on a white long tie...is the long tie I would wear with a tux different from the one I would wear with my usual suits?

Thanks in advance!
Eric:
My advice is to stay with the 'classics' and ditch the long tie (which is no different than the ties you wear everyday), and wear a Bow Tie. :yesnod:

According to "Ask Men...Become a Better Man" and I aggre that Weddings can be tricky; you don’t want to be the odd man out, but you may just have to go 'with your gut feeling. :blush:

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_250/293b_fashion_advice.html

Evening Time Semiformal

"For evening weddings or the theater, here is the correct attire: a tuxedo jacket, black trousers with one satin seam, a black cummerbund or vest, a black bow tie, black or gold studs or cuff links, and a white silk scarf".

Day Time Semiformal

"Day semiformal [would be just grand....and what a 'entrance' you would behold], is most likely the way you'd dress for a day wedding. This look traditionally consists of a gray morning coat (cutaway), gray or black striped trousers, a gray double-breasted vest, a gray tie or pinned ascot, gray gloves, a top hat and spats, a white boutonniere, pearl cuff links, and studs.

Nowadays, unless you're in the wedding party, you're not required to appear so dressed up. Instead, opt for a light-colored suit and tie combination and you'll fit right in".

Semiformal

"Tuxes are not required at a semiformal event, but any evening event still calls for a dark suit at the very least. Also, today's fashion world dictates that ties are not absolutely necessary to complete the look at a semiformal event".

Types of Formal Attire

proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php
"Let them see you and not the [tux]. That should be secondary". Cary Grant

Last edited:
Eric:
My advice is to stay with the 'classics' and ditch the long tie (which is no different than the ties you wear everyday), and wear a Bow Tie. :yesnod:

According to "Ask Men...Become a Better Man" and I aggre that Weddings can be tricky; you don’t want to be the odd man out, but you may just have to go 'with your gut feeling. :blush:

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_250/293b_fashion_advice.html

Evening Time Semiformal

"For evening weddings or the theater, here is the correct attire: a tuxedo jacket, black trousers with one satin seam, a black cummerbund or vest, a black bow tie, black or gold studs or cuff links, and a white silk scarf".

Day Time Semiformal

"Day semiformal [would be just grand....and what a 'entrance' you would behold], is most likely the way you'd dress for a day wedding. This look traditionally consists of a gray morning coat (cutaway), gray or black striped trousers, a gray double-breasted vest, a gray tie or pinned ascot, gray gloves, a top hat and spats, a white boutonniere, pearl cuff links, and studs.

Nowadays, unless you're in the wedding party, you're not required to appear so dressed up. Instead, opt for a light-colored suit and tie combination and you'll fit right in".

Semiformal

"Tuxes are not required at a semiformal event, but any evening event still calls for a dark suit at the very least. Also, today's fashion world dictates that ties are not absolutely necessary to complete the look at a semiformal event".

Types of Formal Attire

Christopher
proxy.php
"Let them see you and not the suit. That should be secondary". Cary Grant

Well put Count....are you on AAAC?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Well put Count....are you on AAAC?
Mitchell:
Thanx for reply, support and for sharing, but for the life of me...what's AAAC?
proxy.php

Ask Andy About Clothes? Or how about, the Astronomy and Astrophysics Advisory Committee? OK...OK, I got it; the Academic Achievement Assessment Committee. :lol1:

Christopher :lol:

Last edited:
A bow-tie, and not a clip-on. Learn how to tie the bow-tie. You may only do it once, but you will never forget how to again. It's just one of those things a man should know how to do.

I've been an AAAC member for the past 6 years. Andy is definitely a great source of info. And I agree with the posters in this thread. Stay with the classics.

I agree with most of this stuff. Although who among us has actually worn a dinner jacket to the theater, at least sometime with the past 30 years. (Also, how many of you own and have worn "a white silk scarf" with your dinner jacket? I do and have, but I would not say that a white silk scarf is mandatory with a dinner jacket!

Back to the OPs question: What is the question was more, "I am a student of AAAC, and know exactly what classic dinner jacket attire is and is not. However, I have been living in LA and watching too many Hollywood award shows, and my taste has become corrupted. I realize that Cary Grant would not have done it this way, but it is my wedding and I intend to wear what pleases me on this special day regardless of what is traditionally "proper" and on some level I want to make a nod to the revisionist dinner jacket styles I see on TV on the various hipster young actors. But I do not want to look like I just fell off the pumpkin wagon and have no idea how to dress. In other words, I know what the rules are and choose to violate them in this case as to this item, which as far as I am concerned it perfectly fine. So, Gentlemen, I ask, if I want to wear a long tie, white in color, with my dinner jacket at my wedding, and I do want to, what kind of long white do you think would be best? The same kind of tie as I would wear with a suit?"

I think folks could take a shot at answering that question. First of all, I am having trouble imagining wearing an all white tie with a business suit. I think what I would try to do is to find a white tie in the same material dinner jacket bow ties are typically made of, which is often a rather smoother, shinier silk, perhaps more delicate, than a regular business tie would be made of. Otherwise, I would think it would be the same shape and size as would be a regular business tie. I assume it would be tied with the same kind of knor you would use for a business tie, and that you would have a dimple. But because we are stretching convention here, I am not sure whether a dimple in a long tie worn with a dinner jacket seems closer to or farther away from traditional stuff to me!

I would definitely go with a bow tie if you plan to wear Black tie.

General tip from a Swedish perspective:
Do not wear a white tie unless its for a funeral and you belong to the family.

Hey guys! So I've opted to go black bow tie as the groom. I'm also going to go with a vest instead of a cumberbund. Question...what's the best way to match the vest to the tie? I figure both will be black, however, I don't want to wind up with two different shades of black (for lack of a better description). I'm looking for recommendation as to where I should buy these two items.

Thanks in advance!

I do not think you have to worry about matching the tie to the waist coat. The tie is going to be something like smooth, shiny silk, or maybe, grosgain (a textured silk) if you want to be ultra cool and traditional.

This site is really quite good, http://www.blacktieguide.com/Introduction/Preface_Origin.htm . Although, it would tell you that the tie should match the material of the lapels of the tuxedo jacket and so grosgain would supposedly be out given that the vast majority of tux lapels are smooth silk. I still might go for it, although it might be very hard to find a grosgain tie. I would think you would be able to get a reasonable tie at lots of places, from Brooks Brothers, to Banks, to places like Syms and Feline's Basement.

I bought my waistcoat separately, later than the rest of the tux--I started with a cumberbund--and I had a heck of a time finding what I was looking for. I think I ended up going with a quite cheap, all polyester or something, one I found on EBay. Probably designed for a waiter to wear. I thought it ended up looking fine. It had all of the cut and style aspects I was looking for!

Ideally, I suppose, the waistcoat fabric would be very close to the fabric of the tux jacket and a waistcoat will not have lapels in anything other than the fabric of overall waist coat so you do not have to worry about matching its lapels with the tie. Not that you would anyway.

Sounds liike you are having fun with all of this, which I thinik is the best attitude and I think it is fun! Congrats on the wedding! Lucky girl!

Top Bottom