What's new

Cooking Challenge / Cochinita Pibil-Puerco Pibil

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got a challenge for anyone who wants to try it. This is my favourite Mexican dish. A bit of background. I first made it after seeing Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Robert Rodriguez has a 10 minutes clip where he shows how to make the dish that he calls Puerco Pibil. I tried it and loved it.

Later on, I came across the same dish by Rick Bayless in his "Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico" cookbook. Both recipes are a bit different but they call for similar ingredients.

In the end, I prefer the Rick Bayless version better and this is what I will make today.

What I suggest, I will put up the recipe + instructions. I will make it and leave anyone 2 weeks to do this dish again. I will take some pictures of the making and post them. What I would like to see is your plating if you do it. Also, any comments welcome if you liked it or not.

It goes as follow. There are 2 big steps to make this dish. 1st is to prepare/roast the spices and second is to roast the meat. You combine the two at the end and simmer. If you made an Indian curry before, it's similar. The real recipe calls for burying the pot and then start a fire on top of it to cook the meat. You could also cook your stuff on the BBQ which adds another dimension to the dish. Some like it without Chilli, that's fine. Others would add a shot of Tequila, I used to but it didn't influence the texture of the meat or taste much. I tried this with beef, pork, lamb and chicken. Pork is best IMO.

So, what you need

Serves 3 (so it's good for me and my other half + I get a lunch the next day :w00t:)
Spices
-1 big clove of garlic
-1/2 teaspoon of black peppercorns
-1/2 teaspoon of allspice berries
-1/2 teaspoon of cloves
-1 teaspoon of cumin
-1 teaspoon of cinnamon
-1 teaspoon of salt
-1 teaspoon of oregano
-1 tablespoon of cider vinegar
-4 tablespoons of Sour oranges juice
-1 tomato
-1 onion
-1 Jalapenos
-1 tablespoon of annato seeds

Note:
Sour oranges. Those oranges are supposed to be sour and bitter. A good way to make something similar is to get the juice from 1 orange mixed with the juice of 2 limes. Add a bit of salt (1/2 teaspoon) and that's it.

Annato seeds, also known as the poor man saffron. It's a little red-brownish seed and it's hard. If you have it in a seed format, you will need a good 5-10 minutes in the blender or ~2 mins in a coffee grinder to get a powder out of it. I was never able to get something out of my mortar and pestle. I sometime saw it under 'Achiote', 'Annatto', 'Anatto', 'Anato'. If you can't find it at your local store, try the Asian grocery as they often stock it for Thai cuisine.
$SANY4661.JPG

Meat
-400 grams of pork shoulder diced

Method
1-Grind your seeds/spices first
2-Warm up a Dutch oven and put in the spices, tomato, onion.
$SANY4663.JPG
3-Roast the stuff for 3-5 minutes and transfer to the blender
4-Start roasting the meat in the same pot.
$SANY4664.JPG
5-Puree the whole thing and add the cider/sour orange juice.
6-This shouldn't take long and re-add to your pot.
7-Add 1/2-1cup of water in the empty blender to wash the spices from the sides and throw them back in the pot.
$SANY4665.JPG
8-Simmer for 3-4 hours at least. The longer the better.
9-1 hour before you eat, take the lid off so the liquids turn into a thick sauce.

Serve with either rice or corn tortillas, salsa and guacamole. I also keep a bit of Queso Manchego or some other cheese to eat my tacos with.

I pickled some red onions specially for this. So, putting together some orange juice, lime, salt and I add a diced onion. If you can pickle it for 2 days, it's best. The juice from the onions is what I used in this recipe and I will serve the onions with the tacos. The acidity of the juice will "cook" the onions.

So, here we go. Cochinita Pibil.
$SANY4666.JPG

So, how did you go? :001_smile

It's hard to find ethnic spices where I live, so I might not try this one out.
I do love the idea of cooking challenges though.

Might this be a regular thing?

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Gents! It was fantastic! I hope someone will take the challenge :tongue_sm

It's hard to find ethnic spices where I live, so I might not try this one out.
I do love the idea of cooking challenges though.

Might this be a regular thing?

I would suggest having a look at an Asian Grocery. There are chances that they might stock it. That's where I got mine. I'm lucky enough to have a Spanish grocery near Melbourne that I can go to. So it's easy to procure!

I'd always seen it called Cochinita Pibil until I saw "Once Upon a Time in Mexico". I had to look it up to make sure Puerco Pibil was the same thing.

Good stuff! Very Yucatan in flavor and may in fact be a very old dish. (pre hispanic?)

Luc

Staff member
Don't let the Achiote Seeds discourage you! Anyone made it so far?

Luc

Staff member
I made it again yesterday, this is truly a winner dish for me! So, anyone going to try it? :tongue_sm

I can't believe no one has actually posted this yet:

Puerco Pibil via the 10 minute cooking school

I make this or carne de puerco con chile at least monthly. And sorry I missed the active link earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I missed this thread. I'll take you up on your offer Luc.

I'll probably cook it Friday night. It looks like the only ingredient I might have trouble sourcing will be the Annato seeds.

Luc

Staff member
Somehow I missed this thread. I'll take you up on your offer Luc.

I'll probably cook it Friday night. It looks like the only ingredient I might have trouble sourcing will be the Annato seeds.

Ah ha! Brave one! I hope you like it. Check for a Spanish, Mexican or even Asian grocery to find it. I included a picture so you know what it looks like. Down under I can get it as a seed, already powdered or liquid (premixed with vinegar and garlic). I prefer the seeds as I know exactly what I'm adding.

I made that about three weeks ago, a couple here asked me to cook a spanish dish for them, then they didn't show up, so I tried my best to eat it all up, then made up a bunch of burritos and froze them and used them for lunch variety from the good ole bologna sammiches!!! Good looking recipe though.

Greg

I finally managed to make this. I used chicken thighs because they cook faster then pork shoulder. Next time I'll use pork shoulder. I also made a double batch of the spice mixture so next time I want to make this, and their will be many next times, I have the spices ready to go. I substituted Tabasco peppers for the Jalapeno, I also doubled the garlic, other then that I followed the recipe pretty closely.

Thanks for posting the recipe and cooking challenge Luc, it was delicious.

proxy.php

The sauce still needs to reduce a little bit.

proxy.php

The sauce is pretty much reduced enough.

proxy.php

Ready to eat!

proxy.php

This was a really good meal. I encourage anyone who hasn't had it before to give it a try.

Luc

Staff member
Victory! :thumbup:

Good work mate! Looks awesome! I will make it again in 2 days!

If I can find the seeds I am going to take a crack at this tonight with a chuck steak I have hanging around.

Jim,
I found the seeds in the bulk spice section of Central Market. It's similar to Whole Foods, so maybe they will have them.

And unless you have a spice mill or dedicated coffee grinder for spices pass on the seeds, they are like little rocks!

I found them at one of the 20000 Asian markets here in queens.

As a rule, any seed type spice I usually toast before grinding, any thoughts on that?

I have no idea about toasting the seeds prior to grinding, maybe Luc can chime in.

I just tossed them in my spice grinder along with all the other spices and had at it. I toasted the spice mixture in the pan prior to adding the tomatoes and onions and then pureed everything.

Top Bottom