What's new

Cooking Challenge / Cochinita Pibil-Puerco Pibil

Ok that was not bad, I toasted, then ground. It is a very fragrant mixture.
I deviated from Lucs' suggestion by throwing a huge orange and two lemons into the wizzer and some more garlic. I did add some fresh cilantro.

Browned up the meat and added the love juice and popped it into a 235 degree oven.

Photos later

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Ah nice! Last time I toasted them for 2-3 mins... Can't wait for the pictures!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
How did I miss this thread? That looks amazing!

Achiote is fantastic stuff- not much flavor, but wonderful color. If you ever wondered how to make yellow rice, cook the annatto seeds in oil. When cooled, strained. and bottled, it will look bright red, but will really be a very concentrated yellow. Saute your rice in the fat, et voila- yellow rice without the expense of saffron.

I don't think it benefits from toasting as much as almost every other spice, but I guess I still do it out of habit.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Ok that was not bad, I toasted, then ground. It is a very fragrant mixture.
I deviated from Lucs' suggestion by throwing a huge orange and two lemons into the wizzer and some more garlic. I did add some fresh cilantro.

Browned up the meat and added the love juice and popped it into a 235 degree oven.

Photos later

I can't wait to see that- I better eat first.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've got to try this. I've never seen Annato seeds but there are a fair number of Asian/Indian/Caribbean stores nearby. I think I have everything else on hand.

Here it is, my bride adored it, me, not so much. Thanks for the challenge Luc!l

Last edited by a moderator:

Luc

Staff member
I'm eating my risotto at the moment and wish it would be cochinita pibil... Nice pictures Jim!

I made this the other day. I did not particularly care for it, but it was nice to try something else. I had ground annatto at home, which made everything easier. Thank you, Luc!

I could not have finished this dish without one of these, though:

proxy.php

Here I am browning the pork. I ended up deglazing the pan, adding the deglaze to the Dutch oven I was cooking everything in.

proxy.php

Cooking away:

proxy.php

The final dish. I made some guacamole, brown rice, and refried beans to have with it.

proxy.php

How is this the first time I am in this forum section?

I'll be grabbing the materials for this dish at my farmer's market on Sunday. I shall be doing it the Robert Rodriguez way...Why? Because I am about to turn on one of his movies (yes oddly enough I was doing that before I got to this thread lol). Pics to follow sometime this week.

I gave this a shot yesterday, and this is right up my alley. The only changes that I would make for my personal tastes is to throw in one chipotle pepper, and add a little more cumin.

Luc

Staff member
Happy to see that many enjoyed it!

Shawn. You win the presentation award. The jarritos mandarina is a great touch. Good looking tortillas too. I used to have cochinita pibil gorditas as a kid in a small town on my way to Mexico to visit grandma. I need to make these gordita style when I get back from a wedding this weekend.

Thanks Jose!

I'm probably going to make this again this week.

It seems that this is either a loved it or didn't care for it type recipe. I think that the allspice berries and cloves are the deal breaker for some people.

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Jose!

It seems that this is either a loved it or didn't care for it type recipe. I think that the allspice berries and cloves are the deal breaker for some people.

I think you might be right. It's on for next week around here!

Thanks Jose!

Bingo!

Luc

Staff member
I will need to make this again soon as I miss it! Anyone else wants to take the challenge?

Top Bottom