What's new

My 1st charcoal grill, anybody have tips or tricks?

So yesterday I thought it was time for me to try out charcoal grilling. My neighbor does it all the time and it smells fantastic! So I went out and bought a cheapy just to get my feet wet. ($50) I used kingsford charcoal and zip to get things cookin', now I know that the purists would recommend against using zip or any other form of chemical lighting methods but it works ok for me for now until I'm comfortable with working things.

Anywho, I'm just wondering if anyone might have any tips or tricks to tell me about charcoal, and charcoal grilling?

Thanks!

I don't know what "zip" is, but whenever I use a charcoal grill, I make sure to let the fuel soak up properly before I ignite. It can be very tricky to get the right amount when the weather is hot, as the fuel evaporates easily. I'm sure putting the lid on can help you control that. Also, don't put anything on the grill before it's ready. When the coals start to turn white, or are covered with a gray layer, it's ready. Remember, it's not the flames that are supposed to grill your food, it's the heat from the (preferably) white burning coals.

On a charcoal grill, there's often the issue of fat dripping down through the gridiron, causing flames to burst up. It's just a matter of balance on this one. You can never stop fat from dripping entirely. Just be careful, and keep an eye on the grill when you're cooking. You can (as with other grills) put aluminium foil directly on the gridiron and the food on top. This can really help with foods that fall through, like smaller tomatoes, pieces of mushroom etc. If you keep the lid on while you're grilling, you won't lose the smoky flavour either. Don't be afraid to use your lid, but be aware that it get's extremely hot inside. We just grilled some pork chops on our gas grill today, and they were done in about four minutes I'd say, maybe five. Cook one piece of food alone if you're unsure of the time.

I really love to get pre-boiled corn stalks, butter them up and put them directly on the gridiron. If you make your own hamburgers (which fall more easily apart than shop bought ones), use aluminium foil. You can also wrap stuff up in foil an put directly on the coals, but don't combine this with something on top on the gridiron unless you're a master at multitasking. I don't know if these tips are any useful, but congrats on your charcoal grill!

Also, find out what kind of gridiron you have, and clean it accordingly. I'm no expert here, but don't scrape off residue so hard that you scratch the outer coating of the gridiron. If you do that, fat and grime will char much easier next time you use the grill.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Chimney style charcoal starters are pretty cheap . . . in any case you pretty much want to see all your charcoal looking a bit white on the outside before you start cooking. Before that point cooking will be disappointingly slow.

Chimney style charcoal starters are pretty cheap . . . in any case you pretty much want to see all your charcoal looking a bit white on the outside before you start cooking. Before that point cooking will be disappointingly slow.

i love the chimneys, no fluid needed and i ended up with 2, i use the second as a "jet engine-like" sear device .

Thanks guys, I was thinking about getting a chimney starter, I'll have to look around. I found that last night when trying to start the coals that not all of them lit perfectly but, it was my 1st time. Gonna give it another go tonight and I'm sure it'll work better.

I found that with the lid closed and the vents open that it burnt very hot! It seemed a lot hotter than my gas grill can go. Ah well I guess it's all trial and error.

This is zip:

Attachments

• $Zip.jpg
    $Zip.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 229
Where's the best place to buy wood chips? I see them once in a while but their always mesquite.

I seldom use charcoal now, but when I do I like to use a chimney to start the briquettes. For wood chips, keep watch for people trimming fruit trees; often times folks will be happy to give you a call and have you carry off a few large limbs, which you can then turn into chips with an ax.
Happy grilling, Ken.

Anywho, I'm just wondering if anyone might have any tips or tricks to tell me about charcoal, and charcoal grilling?
Here's a good tip for charcoal grilling ...

Buy a Fire Extinguisher (rated for types A and K fires), learn how to use it, and keep it close by whenever you cook.

Thanks guys, I was thinking about getting a chimney starter, I'll have to look around. I found that last night when trying to start the coals that not all of them lit perfectly but, it was my 1st time. Gonna give it another go tonight and I'm sure it'll work better.

I found that with the lid closed and the vents open that it burnt very hot! It seemed a lot hotter than my gas grill can go. Ah well I guess it's all trial and error.

This is zip:

I'm not at all surprised, a major problem with all but the best gas grills is that they don't get hot enough to get a good sear. A good tip for chicken and larger cuts of pork is to use indirect heat. Make a smaller coal bed to one side and keep the other clear of coals. Give a quick sear over the coals and move the food to the side without and add wood chunks if you like then cover and close off the vents. Foods like bone in chicken will cook through without burning or drying out.

I find that a plastic coffee container filled with charcoal is a good amount for cooking steaks chicken etc and it doesn't waste any and is easy to manage the heat. I use the 2lb container as a measurer and no matter how much charcoal I use i like the thickness or charcoal layer to be about 2-3 high it doesn't need to be more and then I just go wide from there. Put the lighter fluid on and wait about 1 or 2 minutes and light. When the coals are at least half white I start cooking. There is no flame by this time and the fuel taste is burned off.

A good tip for chicken and larger cuts of pork is to use indirect heat. Make a smaller coal bed to one side and keep the other clear of coals. Give a quick sear over the coals and move the food to the side without and add wood chunks if you like then cover and close off the vents. Foods like bone in chicken will cook through without burning or drying out.

That is the best tips of them all.
Far to many people don't use their lids. Keep the lid on as much as possible and use indirect heat:)

Get a Webber One Touch Gold/Silver, and a chimney starter. I have a set of charcoal holders that hold the coals to either side for indirect/roasting. When in this config, it makes it easy to add wood chips for smoking.

I love to grill and bbq (they are different).

Another vote for the Weber chimney starter. Walmart sells one, but it isn't as good from what I've heard. Unless, of course, you enjoy naptha as a seasoning.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I tend to be more of a "hibachi" user than a full-blown BBQ, which tends to mean I can cook with a lot less charcoal. But no lid. You can pick up a decent one for $25-$30, so it's a nice addition to your backyard cooking lineup if you already have a big BBQ. (Apart from being unable to manage a big BBq party or acres of steak, there is little downside to a hibachi.)

Back in the day, my Dad would start the BBQ with those little waxy white chunks of fire starter (forget the name ... anyone??) and maybe drizzle on some Zip as well if he felt so inclined.

Me, I just drizzle on some gasoline instead.

... um, before lighting, of course. :001_rolle I've never noticed any sort of "flavour" from that, although I do wait for the coals to be properly ready before cooking, so no doubt it all burns off well before that.

Definitely agree on the chimney starter.

Regarding charcoal

Lump charcoal for grilling/searing; it burns much hotter but also much quicker. Briquets for roasting and smoking, which will burn at a lower heat for longer and much steadier.

Lump

proxy.php

Briquets

proxy.php

Top Bottom