What's new

First time in Mess Hall and first noodles!

So.......My wife has only had my homemade alfredo sauce once (not married very long) and I had never made noodles before, so I decided to surprise her a couple of days ago. Just simple egg noodles:
3 c flour
3 whole eggs
1/4 c hot water
one finger pinch of salt
Then rolled super thin and hand cut into thin strips.
Then I melted butter in a sauce pan, chopped garlic, and italian seasoning. Sauted it up a for a few minutes to blend the voices and grilled thinly pounded chicken breast. Stuck that in the warmer drawer to keep it hot. Kept the drippings in the pan, dumped in a quart of heavy whipping cream, four cups of parm cheese, half a package of cream cheese (made it kind of tangy, would use less next time or probably not at all), more italian seasoning, little bit of garlic powder, fresh ground black pepper. Heated and slowly whisked until it thickened.
Had been drying the noodles with a fan for about two hours, then dumped them into a rolling boil for three and a half minutes. Nearly perfect!
Plated with peas and french bread. I didn't have time for homemade bread, but next time...........

Yum!! And all of this on our new to us antique tablecloth, freshly painted kitchen, and new gas stove! Wooohooooo!!! I'm never ever going back to electric. Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever. And of course I took the close up of the food that was plated the worst. Figures.

Attachments

• $food1.jpg
    $food1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 76
  • $food2.jpg
    $food2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 76
  • $photo.jpg
    $photo.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 75
Hi there,

I also try home made pasta about 2 months ago. They were really good but wayyy over cooked :X
I did not dried them prior to cooking, and they were soft and looked cooked the second they were in the water so I let them cook around 7-8 minutes like regular pasta. Is this why they are supposed to be dried before cooking, to know when they are ready ?

Freshly made noodles only need a minute or two cook at a hard boil. Just check them while they cooking and you'll not over cook them. The nice thing about pasta is that it can dry out and still be just fine when cooked. I used to serve it either freshly pulled out of the pasta machine, or from noodles prepped the day before.

I like a little less sauce. The trick is to saute the drained pasta in the sauce over low heat for a minute then remove with tongs.

Top Bottom