What's new

I just don't get it...more ingrown hairs!

I switched to DE about a month ago, and at first, I had no problems. Actually, having used carts for several years, I rarely ever had an ingrown hair. I would shave atg all the time with those without any problems except for some razor burn once in a while. Now, I've got about four ingrown hairs and I can't seem to get rid of them. Heck, I got one yesterday and I didn't even shave yesterday...it just showed up last night! I know it's probably technique, but why would one blade cause more problems than five at once? This is very frustrating because I love using my DE, but if this continues, I'll go back to the expensive carts. :mad3:

If you have even a slightly curly beard, it's probably just a matter of cutting too close. It's hard to get as close with a cart as you can with a single blade, and if you're cutting all the way down to the skin it's easy for the hair to get turned back in on itself as it grows back.

I'd ditch your ATG pass on whatever areas of your face have had problems with ingrowns, and see if that helps a bit.

My guess is that blade angle is a factor. Modern cartridges control angle for you, but with a DE it is up to you. The wiki has a nice article on Blade Angle that might help.

Like the others say, try avoiding ATG in the bits that are susceptible to ingrowns and see if it helps

Why would I get ingrown hairs in the bits I DON'T shave? Just don't get that either.:001_smile

Like the others say, try avoiding ATG in the bits that are susceptible to ingrowns and see if it helps

Why would I get ingrown hairs in the bits I DON'T shave? Just don't get that either.:001_smile

Or you had a very close shave the day before and your beard only grew out enough to cause an ingrown the next day.

That was probably the case as my beard grows slowly. I don't go atg with my DE, only the carts, so maybe it's a pressure thing...I get the feeling I'm still pushing too hard. Thanks for all the input, guys!

*blushes*
That article gets the most views on my blog. I'm glad it was informative for you. I found it really interesting to research!

If the article was for your course I hope you received a good mark. It was very well written. Have you thought about having it as a Wiki article here?

Two things helped me: Aveeno Shaving cream, which was recommended by my dermatologist, and "Mentos" post-shave lotion three times a day for a couple of weeks. Mentos can be found at Atlanta Barber Supply, and it only costs $3.00.

Well, crud. I've tried so many things now, and for all my efforts, I have two more. This morning I shaved with a cart, and I haven't had any more ingrowns. I know it is probably technique because it's mainly on the lower left side of my neck...none on the right. But, I'm tired of having to deal with these, so what do I do? Keep trying with my DE, or just go back to carts?

Well, crud. I've tried so many things now, and for all my efforts, I have two more. This morning I shaved with a cart, and I haven't had any more ingrowns. I know it is probably technique because it's mainly on the lower left side of my neck...none on the right. But, I'm tired of having to deal with these, so what do I do? Keep trying with my DE, or just go back to carts?

Have you mapped your beard growth on your face and neck? Since it seems to only happen on one side, you may be unwittingly going ATG there, secondary to your growth pattern. If you haven't already, map your growth pattern and try only WTG and/or XTG on the side of your neck that is giving you problems.

Yeah, I've mapped it. The last few shaves I have been extremely careful to only go WTG, but they're still popping up. Should I take a few days off of shaving (although they still creep up when I haven't shaved), or just keep shaving. I've never had a problem like this!

Yeah, I've mapped it. The last few shaves I have been extremely careful to only go WTG, but they're still popping up. Should I take a few days off of shaving (although they still creep up when I haven't shaved), or just keep shaving. I've never had a problem like this!

Okay, so much for that theory. This may be a long shot, but I too started with "new" ingrown hairs that I never got with carts. When I started with a DE (not long ago), the razor wasn't the only thing that I changed. Pre-shave prep, shave, and post shave....things changed. In my case, I narrowed it down to the aftershave balm that I was using. I switched back to an alcohol based aftershave splash and the ingrowns disappeared. YMMV, but, the point is to consider other things that may have changed in your entire routine. As for skipping a few days, I'll let the more experienced members advise on that. Good luck....I hope you get it figured out!

Top Bottom