What's new

Wool socks for daily use

Let me apologize off the bat. I tried searching for this topic, because I was sure it had been discussed before (though I've been away for a bit, and those older threads could have been purged), but when I applied a search - even in quotations - it returned results that had absolutely nothing to do with wool, or socks or wool socks.

I'm looking for suggestions, as I'm considering moving to wool socks full-time. I have a few pair now that I wear on occasion and really enjoy them. Since these will be worn casually and daily, I'm probably looking for a medium weight sock. I have 2 pair of medium now that I wear and a pair or two of heavier that I save for camping/hiking. I've tried to find something lighter than 'medium', for comparison, but the only other option I've seen are liner socks. I'd say a minimum of 70% merino wool, but would prefer 76%+. Because elasticity in wool socks is somewhat minimal, they don't like to stay up, and I'd like to avoid knee-high lengths. Something that would come just to the top of a boot. *If they make them, I'd also like suggestions for low-cut/no-show wool socks for gym wear*

Also, cost is a factor. The cheapest I've found locally (at Sportsman's Warehouse) are Fox River at $13/pair. That's better than $20+ for Smart Wool or other popular brands, but still racks up when looking at 7-10 pair (plus another 5 or 6 for athletic wear).

Willing to buy online, which is why I was looking for suggestions.

*Waves magic wand*

I have arrived to answer all your woolen foot apparel needs.

You do, however, ask a difficult question. You're right when you say you've mostly found liners. The other option that's first and foremost in my head is a baselayer sock. A baselayer sock will never have such a high wool content as you desire. Though truthfully, you don't need that either, unless it's very, very cold where you live and you use heavy boots daily.

The more wool you want in a sock, the less it will stay up. That's why almost all woolen socks are hybrids, with at least 20-30% synthetics, even in the best wool blends. (Unless you go for 100% wool, but that's something else entirely).

I would advise you to check out one brand first of all: Woolpower

Woolpower has two socks that may fit your needs. The 200 and 400 gram socks (200/400 grams of wool per square metre of fabric, respectively).

Both these socks can be worn daily, and both in freezing, cold and warm temperatures, though the 400's might get a little clammy after a while in warmer climates. The 400 socks are what I would call medium socks, and they're a bit thicker than the 200's. The 200's are thin enough to wear in dress shoes, I'd say. As you can see on Woolpower's website, their 200 socks are one step above "liner," so it's their thinnest sock that's not a liner.

I could suggest other brands, but.. I won't. These are the best socks there are, in my opinion. Wash them on a wool program (even though they're made to withstand hot washing), and they'll last you ages. I have socks that are four years old and you can't notice the wear.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

I work outside all year round and I have worn wool socks all year round for years. I wore SmartWool socks for awhile. I actually wear a few pair of SmartWool dress socks when I go to Church and other times I dress better than I do for work. I have been wearing Bass Pro RedHead merino wool socks for the past few years. They go up to the top of most boots, they may be a little thicker than most. I think they would be classified as medium weight. Best of all the cost: 9.95 a pair and they have a lifetime guarantee. Check them out.

I wear wool socks year round and have done so for years. At Costco I found a pack of 3 wool socks for around $14. They are similar to the bass pro redhead socks and last a long time considering their price. When it is hotter out I just wear wool dress socks with my boots.

I wear the Bass Pro Redhead socks everyday. I use the ones with the lifetime guarantee, they are about $10 a pair, and when they wear out(which takes a long time), take them back and they'll swap out for a new pair.

*Waves magic wand*

I have arrived to answer all your woolen foot apparel needs.

You do, however, ask a difficult question. You're right when you say you've mostly found liners. The other option that's first and foremost in my head is a baselayer sock. A baselayer sock will never have such a high wool content as you desire. Though truthfully, you don't need that either, unless it's very, very cold where you live and you use heavy boots daily.

The more wool you want in a sock, the less it will stay up. That's why almost all woolen socks are hybrids, with at least 20-30% synthetics, even in the best wool blends. (Unless you go for 100% wool, but that's something else entirely).

I would advise you to check out one brand first of all: Woolpower

Woolpower has two socks that may fit your needs. The 200 and 400 gram socks (200/400 grams of wool per square metre of fabric, respectively).

Both these socks can be worn daily, and both in freezing, cold and warm temperatures, though the 400's might get a little clammy after a while in warmer climates. The 400 socks are what I would call medium socks, and they're a bit thicker than the 200's. The 200's are thin enough to wear in dress shoes, I'd say. As you can see on Woolpower's website, their 200 socks are one step above "liner," so it's their thinnest sock that's not a liner.

I could suggest other brands, but.. I won't. These are the best socks there are, in my opinion. Wash them on a wool program (even though they're made to withstand hot washing), and they'll last you ages. I have socks that are four years old and you can't notice the wear.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

thanks for posting. i too need pair for everyday workout use

+1 to Smartwool. They make Smartwool everything. Thinner styles for dress socks. Thicker for hiking. I even have them for my Fivefingers.

Just take them off when your shoes come off because they don't wear that well. No holes but lots of pilling.

I switched to wool socks full-time years ago. They are vastly superior to cotton socks IMHO. They don't get hot in the summer, don't get damp and clingy like cotton does, and they tend to wick moisture away from your feet if they do get wet. I've had water get my shoes accidentally, and it was far easier to deal with than with cotton socks that absorb and hold water like your bath towel does.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No offense, but why wear wool socks in warm weather?

When one thinks "wool socks" one first thinks of thick, super-warm socks worthy of arctic expeditions. But of course wool socks can be made much thinner too, which allows for much better temperature regulation. IMHO, wool socks will handle moisture (foot sweat, &c) much better than a similar cotton sock.

+1 to Smartwool. ... I even have them for my Fivefingers.

Now THAT I have to look into ...

They're great. Neutralized the funk factor of my KSOs without resorting to any of the heroic measures people often recommend.

The increased bit of padding feels weird at first but they tamp down quick on the first run/wash.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
They're great. Neutralized the funk factor of my KSOs without resorting to any of the heroic measures people often recommend.

The increased bit of padding feels weird at first but they tamp down quick on the first run/wash.

I have the Injiji socks, but they are cotton-based. I'd love to get into wool-base instead ... do you know how the Smartwool fit in the fivefingers is compared to the Injiji?

Do wool socks require special care? Do they need to be hand-washed and line dried, or can they be tossed in the washer & dryer with the rest of the laundry?

You could check out Sportsman's guide for their wool socks.

Looks like their offerings are only 20% wool (65% acrylic).

The RedHead hunting socks are 88%. Wow! Those are $10/pair. Anyone know what the ratio of the Costco socks?

Top Bottom