What's new

semi-newbie check-in

Hi everybody!

After lurking for a while, I thought it's time to check-in.

I've been wet shaving with all kinds of cartridge, and disposable razors (mostly Gillette) for about 30 years now, some additional years with different models of electric beard mowers, non of which provided satisfactory results. About a month ago I stumbled over Michael's (LeisureGuy) blog about DE shaving. That was the turning point for me. Thank you very much, Michael!

The next step was to order a selection of Mama Bear's shaving soaps (I really love them - all!) along with an Alum Block and a selection of her AS. Then I ordered razors, Merkur 33C (my favorite), Weishi (more forgiving), and Delrin by Treet (most forgiving). I also got one of those beautiful Silvertip brushes, Giovanni sold as a daily special deal about two weeks ago. And of course a whole collection of different blades.

So I started DE shaving. The first 2-3 shaves were a setback, compared to my previous M3 experience, which was expected. A little more blood and a little less cutting beard. Nothing serious though. Yes, I know, too much pressure! It's hard to unlearn bad habits from my M3 time. But soon it got significantly better.

Now three days ago I tried the black carbon steel Treet blade in my Merkur 33C. OMG! I instantly knew what you guys mean by "BBS". This blade is unbelievably sharp and yet nice to the skin. I got out 3 perfect shaves with this blade. After each shave I rinsed the razor under hot water as usual, and then swished it in a bowl of 91% alcohol (Wal-mart). Then I gave it a blow dry with air pressure in the garage. Now after my third shave I looked at it under the microscope and found traces of usage and beginning rust. Time to get a new blade, I guess. Well, three perfect shaves are a pretty good result considering the price.

Shaving has become an enjoyable activity that I look forward to every day. I thank all of you for the valuable information you provided in this and other forums, which made my switching to DE shaving so easy!

Welcome! And I'm pleased the blog was helpful with the transition. Tomorrow I'm trying a Derby Extra after a long time not using that brand, and then I'll be back at the Treet Blue Special (carbon steel) for shave number five (5!). Still no rust, thanks to the 91% rubbing alcohol rinse before putting it away.

It gets better and better as you practice daily. Happy to have you here.

Thanks for your warm welcome wishes! I'm happy I found this forum.

I have a problem imagining how my shave can get any better, since it has never been that great - ever(!), but I take your word for it. :smile:

Regarding rust on carbon steel blades:
I couldn't see it either with the naked eye, yet. Only under the microscope. OTOH, I wouldn't worry about a little rust. It won't affect the razor, I believe. I actually tried the other day to gold plate my Merkur 33C, but did not succeed. Apparently they not just chrome plated it, but also added some kind of extra protection onto it. After my attempt to gold plate I could wipe off the gold with my finger. So, my conclusion, if the razor gets some rust from a rusty blade, it should be possible to wipe it off as well.

Tomorrow I'll test the Treet Dura Sharp Hi-Tech Steel, blue-grayish package, silver colored blade. I believe it is carbon steel as well. I'm curious how this one will behave.

Happy shaving!

Thanks guys!

This morning I tried the Treet Dura Sharp Hi-Tech Steel. I must say, after using the "Black Beauty" for the past three days, I'm a bit disappointed. Although I got a decent nearly BBS, I could feel the blade pulling on my beard before actually cutting it. I don't dare to use it a second day. Maybe it's just this one blade that is a lemon. Eventually I'll try those again once I went through my sample packs.

I created a table in a spreadsheet (M$-Excel) with my different blades as rows and different razors as columns. After each change of blade and/or razor, I set a grade for this particular blade/razor combination and add a comment if needed. This evaluation system should give me a realistic result as to which blades to stick with once I tried them all.

Happy shaving!

Top Bottom