What's new

want to try very large brushes, ideas

ok i want to try a large brush something close to 30mm knot. however they seem to be expensive. what the cheapest large brush(in badger)

While frank shaving has some decent brushes for the price, I feel like if you end up going for those larger knots you'll end up with something far too floppy to be usable, but if you like floppy, go for it.

i am thinking that, hes made me one before. but i see frank shaving has a 28mm

Thater makes a big one, I believe 30 mm.

proxy.php

Big badgers are never going to be cheap :(

TGN has these Finest in 26 - 30 mm.
proxy.php

These are short loft, so I expect them to be good.

There's also SIlvertip at 30mm.
proxy.php

Those are around 25-30 USD.

Get a custom handle or make one yourself, and you have a good, cost-effective big bad brush!

I just recently tried the Frank's Richmond 28 mm silvertip. It to me seems to be a big step up in quality over the previous Frank's I have tried. Big knot with a shorter loft. I had no problem whipping up MWF. It was 39.99 plus shipping to U.S. Seems to be pretty dense and has fair backbone. This is possible the most affordable Big knot out there. Of course you can go TGN route. I found the 28 mm franks to be as dense and soft as an Older TGN 28mm overstuffed Silver tip I have. . My 28mm Frank's is not floppy, but my TGN is. (I should have set the TGN deeper) Both are an affordable way to try out some big knots. I recommend getting BOTH.$abrush.jpg
Frank on Left,, TGN on right

Last edited:
ok i want to try a large brush something close to 30mm knot. however they seem to be expensive. what the cheapest large brush(in badger)

I read in previous posts you use Horse, PM your Address and I'll let you try this: ~67/28, which I use only for Head Shaving, next to a Semogue 1250 55/21.

Attachments

• $IMG_1892.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 128
  • $IMG_1897.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 127
Big brush
That's a good Big horsehair from Bestshave. I have that one also and use it for head shaving. The #8 from bestshave is also a big horsehair, I find the #8 a bit more dense and less floppy than the Lider. All the Bestshave brushes are killer values though.

That's a good Big horsehair from Bestshave. I have that one also and use it for head shaving. The #8 from bestshave is also a big horsehair, I find the #8 a bit more dense and less floppy than the Lider. All the Bestshave brushes are killer values though.

Those were my first forays with Horse hair, my Favorite would be the #7

I have a Frank Shaving "Richmond" Large Knot , 28mm knot, 53mm loft. $47 Delivered.

Wonderful brush, very dense; soaps run away in horror when it comes out. I've been very pleased with it.

Savile row has big knots, Shavemac, Simpsons chubby 3, Kent BK12........Ive had all but the chubby 3...

If I had to own one of the biggins again, I would probably take my Kent back....Super luxury

Cough cough...I'll admit I do like my brushes a tad bit larger than the what is preferred socially by many B&B members today...22mm seems to be the sweet spot for most people.

Anyways, back on topic...I honestly feel the best bang for the buck and the most reasonably way forward would be to contact Rudy and ask him if he can have a 30mm TGN finest knot in his most economical handle shipped your way...discuss how you lather with him and he'll be able to recommend a suitable loft for you. A bunch of the guys have already done the 30mm knots with Rudy...my friend Ken's brush should be arriving any day now as well and you can always reach out to him and ask him how he feels about it once he's had a few days with it...

Top Bottom