What's new

My Father's Day gift, a "real" Ivory handeled Shaving Brush

I got a lovely card and a beautiful Ivory handled shaving brush with a 18mm super badger knot, custom made by pixelfixed. Of course, I had something to do with the acquisition of getting the Father's Day gift. She (wife) appreciated the help. :angel: Will try it out on the next shave. Really heavy handle! I included some pics, and one of them I used Adobe Photoshop to crop and darken the image a bit to show the grain a little better.
The brush was custom made by pixelfixed at the SRP forums. I commend his creative skills and polish job. Very well made and well polished, and outstanding job. W. Barber (pixelfixed) is the maker, and I am thrilled to get such a brush!

proxy.php

Grain structure...(where I darkened the cropped image)that helps to show the grain and Schreger lines.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I tried to include enough detailed pics for newcomers or those that look for images of what real Ivory looks like in a brush handle

I have to thank Nelson for inspiring this idea when he posted his brush some posts back(different sub forum) when I asked about Ivory straight razor handles, and he showed his brush with the grain and markings. He has a beautiful brush! Now I know what he meant that once you hold it, you will "know" ivory.

And, of course I really thank Spindlecone who has the skills and where-with-all to do such spectacular work.

Last edited:
Thank you all. Happy Father's Day to all of you as well!!
A while back I got a razor from a guy selling his Father's estate, and it had a crack in the blade making it...well.. unshavable. He felt bad about sending it out and had not noticed it until looking back at the pictures he took of it. So to be gracious, he sent me 2 razors as a replacement, both Geo Wostenholm & Sons "Suberb" and both nearly new. One had a plastic handle, dark blue with a light streak in it, and the other one, that I'll use tonight with this brush has an Ivory handle. As far as I can tell, both are near Extra Hollow ground and shave ... well, superb!

Many well wishes go out to all the Fathers on Badger & Blade! May your day be filled with happiness and good memories!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Very nice brush, beautiful grain. Might be the best Father's Day present we'll see here.

Thank you all!! And special thanks to Nelson (Thebigspendur) for your inspirations some weeks back. I marveled at your brush and seen others and read posts about Ivory handles and seen some GREAT one, including Nelson's, and those made by Rudy. Wife and daughter kept asking what I'd like for Father's Day, and I told them about the shaving brush with this handle. It's history now, and will be a treasure for many years to come. I'm kind of nervous about lathering with it as I have a tendency to tap the brush handles a lot around the edge of the shaving cup building a lather. I don't want to ding it. Of course, vintage pool balls were Ivory and took a lot of banging around on the table....

BTW this does have a luminescence seen in the dark with a black light. I tried to show the Schreger lines for someone that may stumble in here looking for what to look for as indicative of Ivory.

Just how does one acquire an ivory handle these days? I"m sure you have to come up with the stock and have someone turn it for you.

Top Bottom