What's new

How many shaves can a double edge blade handle ?

It definitely depends. For me personally I get about 8-10 shaves from the Astra SPs so they are the ones I use. My shaves are 1 WTG, 1 ATG, and some buffing. Most of the other blades I tried only seemed to do between 3-4, heck some guys use a blade twice and they are done! The best thing to do is order a decent sized sampler and find the brands you like, after you have that then narrow them down according to longevity. Then stock up on what ya like!

Jay

Depends on the blade and the hair it is shaving. I get about 4 shaves with my Bluebirds. I could go further, but don't see a reason to. Could probably strop them and definitely go further, but hell, they only cost about 10 cents each.

Depends on the blade and the hair it is shaving. I get about 4 shaves with my Bluebirds. I could go further, but don't see a reason to. Could probably strop them and definitely go further, but hell, they only cost about 10 cents each.

I see... Well, than I think, I'm doing well with 4 shaves / 4 pass each :)

I only aim For three per blade, so my new blades are tested on that basis. Before this self imposed rule I got six, I think, out of a lord superchrome, which I think may be my standard blade once things calm down here.

I have got three good shaves out of everything to date. Blades are the item I am most likely to get obsessed and to be honest, to this point, I think all that differs is the packaging. I have tried blades that seem to be loved and loathed here, and they all do a great job. Sample pack is the way to go, as suggested.

This morning is day three for my Merkur blade that came with the razor. Spawn of the devil according to many here. Two great shaves under it's belt for me.

I get 1-2, but I do my whole head in one go. Every other day, I do one XTG all the way around, then the next day XTG and ATG. If I were just doing my face, I'd probably get 3-5 from most blades.

Which blade to choose to get more than 3 nice shaves out of it ?

You really need to find out for yourself. 2 years of this forum has taught me that YMMV is almost always the right answer.

I love Dorco, Derby, and Red IP blades, and get 4 shaves out of each. Others will say that Dorco or Derbys are the worst blades ever. I happen to think they are among the best.

YMMV

Doing my face and head with the same blade, I'm getting 4 shaves out of a Personna Lab prep and I have pretty thick hair. 4 Passes on my face, and 2 on my head. I could probably push 5 or 6, but by that point, for what the Labs cost, I figure why push it.

To be honest blades are cheap enough to change each shave if you really wanted too. I get a couple of face and head shaves and then I change just because I fancy changing blades, but I bet you could get a few more out of a blade at a push.

I've found that Sharks last me a lot longer than any other blade I've tried... The Personnal Med Prep/Lab blades (although I'm only on my 2nd one) are seeming to give a great life also. I think my current Med Prep is on shave 5 or 6 now and was still very comfortable. As a comparison, Feather, for me, are good for 3 shaves, max.

I change my blades out after 2 shaves, no matter what brand of blade or razor I'm using.
I've never understood the fuss about extending the life of DE blades.
  • DE Blades are cheap.
  • DE Blades are readily available when you need more.
  • DE Blades are designed to be DISPOSABLE.

In average, 2 great shaves, between 3 and 5 comfortable shaves, up to so-so 8 shaves if the blade ages exceptionally well (wears out evenly).

I usually discard the blade after 3 or 4 shaves, or transfer it to a milder razor.

Usually change the blade after 4 shaves, for the minor cost no reason to ask for more, and I like the smoothness of a new blade.

Top Bottom