What's new

Beginner Shaver: Muhle R41 versus Muhle R89

Have yet to purchase my first safety razor. I was wondering if an open comb design would be appropriate for a first time wet shaver. My beard is not that coarse nor very thick. I was leaning towards the closed comb design (R89) but for some reason I am starting to like the open comb (R41) a little better.

Any thoughts as to which design would be better for a virgin wet shaver? Thank you.

NOTE: I understand that Muhle will be releasing a new version of the R41 in the next few weeks. I am willing to wait on the reviews for this new design.

The classic advice is that a closed-comb is more forgiving of errors. However, the current R41 head is supposed to be fairly mild (same as the Merkur open-comb, I think?) and so it might be fine to learn on. All the original Gillette razors were open-comb from 1903-38, so once upon a time new shavers were expected to learn on an open-comb.

My own experience is that open-comb razors are good at teaching blade angle (a bad angle either doesn't cut, or leaves lather tracks), and good at cutting hairs that want to lie flat against the skin. Whichever you choose, enjoy the shaves.

The current generation M41 is relatively mild for an OC. An earlier generation Muhle (with a Fatip head) is one beautifully-designed instrument. Its sweeping guard teeth are nicely proportioned - an elegant design and execution. The teeth line up exactly with the guard teeth on Gillette NEW long comb guards from the 1930s, and the shave is as close. This older Muhle with its Italian-designed Fatip head is not always easy to find, but in my book its well worth it to own and use one. The head design on the soon-to-be-available R41 seems to be quite different from classically-designed OC heads, and not at all like the current R41.

Some of what I've offered has to be filtered through YMMV, but I believe that others will support my claim that the current R41 is a mild-to-medium razor, and I've found that surprising for an OC.

The NEW Muehle R41 open comb (released 06-16-2011) is one of the most aggressive razors available and absolutely not suitable for beginners

The NEW Muehle R41 open comb (released 06-16-2011) is one of the most aggressive razors available and absolutely not suitable for beginners

You better check which one you are actually ordering since there are 3 very different R41's with open comb. The '09-early '11 model has a very mild head and is a great razor for starters and experienced shavers alike, just as the current R89. The R41 released a week or so ago is maybe a bit aggressive as a starter-razor; you would learn very fast or not at all with that one!

Both safety bar and OC razors can be mild or aggressive and the teeth might look scary but do exactly the same as the bar. The main advantage of the OC is that it makes it easier to shave a 1 week (or 1 year for that matter) beard without clogging up.

i'd go with the R89 or the EJ equivilant in whatever handle you like (chrome, lined, ivory, black or all of them for that matter).

as for the older version of the Muhle R41 with the Italian FaTip head, i believe it's still available at a few UK places, as well as Fendrihan in Canada (where i just picked one up)

i have the current R89 chrome handled Muhle and it's my favorite razor. i also have the R41 OC with the Merkur head, only used it once, but it's fairly mild. Have not tried the new OC muhle yet (have on order) or the FaTip headed Muhle (have on order).

Top Bottom