What's new

Pocket Watch Fans?

I recently decided that I wanted a pocket watch as my "weekend and leisure" timepiece and so I bought an Elgin size 12 with 17 jewels mfg circa 1908-1909. The watch has the Fahys "permanent" case and runs very nice for a piece of machinery it's age (much like our razors).
After carrying the Elgin for a while I LIKED it so much that I grew tired of my wristwatch and wanted to carry a vintage Pocket Watch the rest of the week also but rather than risk damage to the Elgin or buying another vintage watch to use everyday I took a Star Watch Case Company octagonal shaped case from the 1920's which I had been given and placed a cheap quarts watch's innards inside it :001_cool: This way I have both a work watch and a weekend watch and both are pocket. Below is a rather blurry pic of the Elgin taken with my phone

proxy.php

I was lucky enough to pick one up on the BST last year. I wear it most days. It is nothing fancy but it works well.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big lover of pocket watches. Unfortunately, the only two I still have are both broken. One is an Elgin that through time has lost it's front cover, crystal, and hands. The movement itself is still in amazingly good shape and I'm thinking of trying to track down a case to transplant it to. It was my great-grandfather's watch and according to the serial number, was made in 1904.

The other is a silver NY Standard that appears to have been made between 1895-1900 according to its serial number. It has a part messed up (stem I think) but since the company stopped making watches in the 20s, it's almost impossible to repair. I keep it simply because it belonged to my grandmother's brother, then nephew who gave it to me as he had no children. I would love to get it fixed one of these days.

Someday I'll have me a vintage Elgin...preferably from 1898 as that's when my grandfather was born and my youngest son was born on his birthday.

Bubba

Bama Bubba.
If u are IN Alabama there is a shop called Central Time in Gerlaldine, DeKalb County where the owner specializes in vintage watch repair. He has buckets filled with Elgin parts and has been a watchmaker for 40 years.

I have an Elgin that was my Grandfathers. It runs but needs serviced as there appears to be no oil at all. I will post pics one day soon.

Bama Bubba.
If u are IN Alabama there is a shop called Central Time in Gerlaldine, DeKalb County where the owner specializes in vintage watch repair. He has buckets filled with Elgin parts and has been a watchmaker for 40 years.

Yep, in Decatur so I know where Geraldine is. Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bubba

Legion

Staff member
I have my Grandfathers army watch. I'm not sure of the brand, but it is large, swiss made and has a government broad arrow on the face.

It still works, but I don't carry it. I don't want to lose it, and my pockets are too full of other stuff.

Here is the old Star Watch Case Co. case which I filled with a cheapo-quartz digital that I can carry without worry of messing up my Elgin.

proxy.php

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I carry either on my front belt loops or on my 3-piece suit vests, a 1936 Longines 14K, 16 jewel Pocket Watch attached to a 14K Double chain w/ a 14K small engraved (CBJ), pocket knife (to cut my cigars). The chain has four (4) Catholic (of which I am a proud member of the Faith), and one (1) 'good luck' Charms attached and has a 'Mustard Seed' as the Watch Fob.

Also, my Father had passed this Watch, Chain, Fob, Charms and pocket knife on to me (which I will pass on to my oldest son), and still today...and I've never had a reason to wear a wrist watch. :yesnod:

This Watch is engraved on back with the words "A Wrist Watch merely Tells Time...A Pocket Watch Tells a Story" including my full name and birthdate. :lol1:

Christopher
proxy.php

Attachments

• $wm_normal_my_pocket_watch.jpg
    $wm_normal_my_pocket_watch.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I was lucky enough to pick one up on the BST last year. I wear it most days. It is nothing fancy but it works well.
full

Not a bad idea!

When I carry a pocket watch this is one of my favorites, a 1950's Cortebert #16. This watch was made for the Turkish Railroad and keeps good time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Elgin from my Grandfather. Date is 1897. I don't use it a lot. I like wristwatches better. It works like a charm, I will try to post a pic here tonight.

Marty

I love my pocket watch. I just got it back from being repaired. Part of my morning routine is winding it before I leave the house. My only gripe is that I cant find any pants with a watch pocket on the left side but other than that I love the thing.

I attached a fob which belonged to my Great Grandfather to the Elgin. It has his name on it and the center reads "Watch Florida Grow" I assume it was made in the twenties or thirties as he died in the mid forties.

proxy.php

I love my pocket watch. I just got it back from being repaired. Part of my morning routine is winding it before I leave the house. My only gripe is that I cant find any pants with a watch pocket on the left side but other than that I love the thing.

Get yourself a pouch to wear on your belt. That's the way to do it. Pant's pockets aren't good for pocketwatches anyway. Too much moisture, dust and knocking around with change and keys and all that.

Legion

Staff member
I have my Grandfathers army watch. I'm not sure of the brand, but it is large, swiss made and has a government broad arrow on the face.

It still works, but I don't carry it. I don't want to lose it, and my pockets are too full of other stuff.

Grandfathers Army watch. Looking a little worse for wear, but still running. The Broad arrow is actually on the back with the serial number.

proxy.php

Top Bottom