What's new

Online Source for Kona Coffee?

I was pleased with the greens I got from SmithFarms.com even if the website brought me back to the geocities days. Actually, I'm starting to notice a LOT of solid information from intelligent, experienced folks comes from crappy looking websites (because they spend their time at their trade and not learning CSS3 and HTML5).

Thanks...that was what I was tryng to avoid...paying for overpriced crap. I'm going there in Sept. so I guess I will wait until then to get some.

I think there are some restrictions with carrying it off island or even shipping it home. Also, recently there was a quarantine on one of the islands because of the presence of a coffee-loving parasite.

Oh, to be such a parasite in Kona of all places...

Thanks...that was what I was tryng to avoid...paying for overpriced crap. I'm going there in Sept. so I guess I will wait until then to get some.
I wouldn't. You're more likely to end up with stale over-roasted expensive charcoal nuggets that used to be coffee that came from a tree (or several trees) on the island unless you already know exactly what source to look for.

I suggested smithfarms to JP a good while ago, and I'm glad that he's still happy with them. I recommend smithfarms.com. Heck, get it straight from them when you go, if you can manage that.

Just a heads up, if anyone wants me to pick up something from oahu, I'm always willing to help out a B&B member. Let me know where and if its not too far out in the boonies I'll ship it at whatever it costs me down here!

Just a heads up, if anyone wants me to pick up something from oahu, I'm always willing to help out a B&B member. Let me know where and if its not too far out in the boonies I'll ship it at whatever it costs me down here!

Be careful what you offer. I just might take you up on it.

FYI: I live in hawaii and order from smithfarms. So hard to find freshly roasted 100% kona. Most of the kona sold in stores are not only old, but only 10% kona. Who knows what else is in there!

VampyreWolf: I'd love to try that coffee out sometime! Have you compared it to smithfarms or another true 100% stamped/sealed kona?

ikeyballz: Try out downtown coffee next to Bankoh/Aloha Pacific in Downtown (duh). They roast their beans every saturday, and only serve locally grown coffee. Nice to try different cups from different parts of the island chain! The owner's name is Fred. He's a great guy, and did I mention he started on a behmor?

VampyreWolf: I'd love to try that coffee out sometime! Have you compared it to smithfarms or another true 100% stamped/sealed kona?

I haven't compared with other 100% kona's yet. I don't trust the stuff on the shelves up here to be 100%, and Hualalai Estates was sent to me YEARS ago by a friend on Hilo (as it was what he was drinking and knew). I drink tea all day, so getting a shipment of coffee lasts a while. I'm actually due for coffee again... down to the last dozen ounces I have here (3-4oz of peaberry kona, 4oz of sumatran iskandar, 4oz of tanzanian peaberry), and it's at work.

My source is coffee bean direct for both coffee and tea. Great service and wonderful coffee. They have both green Kona and Jamaican Blue if your tastes run that direction and your wallet can handle it. Personally I usually stick with the roasted dark free trade / organic varietals bought in the 25 pound whole bean size. They ship anywhere in CONUS free 3-day UPS if you're buying 25 pounds at a time

FYI: I live in hawaii and order from smithfarms. So hard to find freshly roasted 100% kona. Most of the kona sold in stores are not only old, but only 10% kona. Who knows what else is in there! ...

I was surprised to learn that it's legal in Hawaii to label a blend as Kona when containing as little as 10% Kona. But apparently Safeway could not even manage to do that and is selling coffee on the mainland containing less that 10% of the real thing. Which has attracted some protests and a class action lawsuit.

proxy.php

Different news coverage:

I like http://greenwellfarms.com for my coffee. We found it when we in Hawaii and now order some. The only issue currently is they are out of their private reserve due to bad growing conditions this year. But you can still get 100% kona coffee (roasted or green).

Top Bottom