What's new

Thought on brush size (for newbies)

So, as some of you may know, I enjoy larger brushes. But folks just getting started may not understand what goes into size. With that in mind, I wanted to set forth a few thoughts.

Now when I'm talking about large brushes, I'm talking about how the brush feels on my face. Nothing (no other metric) really matters when you are talking about the size of a brush.

When folks first start looking at larger brushes, their first thought is generally knot size. Certainly knot size is a factor but is it the determining factor? Not at all. Other factors come into play that are at least as important.

The first of these is loft. If you look at a low lofted CH 3.
proxy.php

and compare it to a Rooney 3/3,.
proxy.php

you might be tempted to say the Chubby, with it's 30mm knot is hands down larger than the 27mm 3/3. Not so. The taller loft of the 3/3 actually presents a larger face feel than the short lofted Chubby!

A second factor is the stiffness of the hair. Again using the two band chubby as an example (this time of the stiffer 2 band hair) and comparing it to a three band Chubby
proxy.php

The three band, being a less stiff hair, will present much larger.

So knowing these three factors, knot size, loft and stiffness will help you have a better idea of what to expect when you're evaluating brushes.

Now not everyone enjoys a large brush. Many fellas prefer medium sized, even small brushes. That's fine and these concepts will also help you decide how small a brush will feel. It exactly the same concept in reverse.

A great example are these two brushes. The B&B 2008LE
proxy.php

.has a knot only 1 measly millimeter smaller than my Rooney 3/1.
proxy.php

.The Rooney has stiffer hair but it also has a much taller loft. In the end, the 3/1 feels much larger than the diminutive LE

I hope this helps as you fellas go searching through that vast number of brushes available.

Cheers,

Ken

Nicely done, Ken. Is that your fabled 3/1 Finest? So little...:wink2:

Your pictures demonstrate this nicely, but might I add a note about fan vs. bulb shape?

In this selection of 2-band brushes, the 24mm Finest (second from left) has a larger face feel than the 28mm Simpson CH2 (second from right). The loft may be 2mm longer on the Finest, but I think the fan shape is the main factor in it having a larger face feel. Similarly, the Rooney 2XL (farthest to the right) has a larger face feel than the CH2, even though the knot diameter is 27-28mm and loft on the Rooney is shorter. Finally, the tall-lofted M&F Blonde with 27mm knot on the far left falls somewhere in between the Rooney and the CH2 as far as size on the face.

$2band1.jpg

Absolutely Ken! :thumbup1:

Another issue I would add is fan vs bulb -- my fan shaped knots have a much larger face feel than my bulb knots, knot size being equal.

If only there were a metric for predicting bloom!

Nicely done, Ken. Is that your fabled 3/1 Finest? So little...:wink2:

It is. And so nice:thumbup:

but might I add a note about fan vs. bulb shape?

... but I think the fan shape is the main factor in it having a larger face feel.

I completely agree with you, Andrew, when I thought about that and started to discuss it, the whole think came right back to loft. Bulb shapes have shorter lofts on the edges. So the discussion kinda got redundant. But it's a great point!

If only there were a metric for predicting bloom!

Very true, Francesco!

Ken

Top Bottom