What's new

How Many Shaves From An SE Blade?

My last three shaves have been with a Gem OCMM. I am using Treet blades bought at Rite Aid, and I am getting incredible, BBS shaves...better than my DE's.

Does an SE blade last longer? It seems the rigid blade should go for several more shaves. What is your experience?

I'm new to SE shaving myself, had 2 shaves with a GEM blade on a GEM Junior. From what i've read on these here boards, people can get 7 or 8 shaves from SE. Of course, as they're find of saying, YMMV!

I'm interested in the answers about this too!

I need to find out where i can buy SE blades from, only have the 5 i got with the razor, and i don't think Feather SEs (which are the only one i can find in Japan) will work in GEM MM (not sure about Junior yet!)

I need to find out where i can buy SE blades from, only have the 5 i got with the razor, and i don't think Feather SEs (which are the only one i can find in Japan) will work in GEM MM (not sure about Junior yet!)

Feather SE blades do not work in an MM. Junior probably the same. G-bar / Heavy Flat Top works great with Feather. I get 5 or 6 shaves out of a blade.

I pushed a GEM SS blade to 16 shaves. Three-ish passes each. I usually toss after 6-7 shaves, but kept this one going for GEMini. I can't say they were fantastic shaves after the 7-8 mark, but it kept getting the job done. I sure was happy after loading a new blade though. I found that as the shaves approached double digits, the blade worked better in more mild razors, like the Feather Weight and Push Button. My current blade will have to last until the 20th, I think that will put it at 15 shaves. After this, I think I'll keep tossing after 6-7 shaves:lol:

I'm new to SE shaving myself, had 2 shaves with a GEM blade on a GEM Junior. From what i've read on these here boards, people can get 7 or 8 shaves from SE. Of course, as they're find of saying, YMMV!

I'm interested in the answers about this too!

The Feathers won't work in an MM because they don't have the cutouts on the sides for the tabs that help lock the blade in place. I can't get the Feathers to work in any of my 1912's without adding a spine. Without the spine they tend to slide backwards.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Got 9 shaves out of my last GEM SS blade from Walgreens. But it did kinda feel I had went 1 or 2 shaves too many with it. So I concur with what other are saying. Depending on your beard type, I would say for me, 6 shaves is too soon to toss and 8 shaves is a dull shave. So the exact optimal number of shaves would be 7 shaves with an SE blade.

However, your miles may very... LOL :)

Would it work in the Junior if i put the spine on the blade from a Gem SE blade? I might try that, and just get something else for the MMs.

The GEM Bluestar (carbon steel) blades I get 2 shaves. The GEM SS I average around 5-8 great shaves.

And those things are NOT the same as treets for the record. A treet comes out of my razor completely discolored after one shave the BS never does. Not even in a 1924.

And those things are NOT the same as treets for the record. A treet comes out of my razor completely discolored after one shave the BS never does. Not even in a 1924.

When I use the BS blade after one shave it begins to discolor and show rust spots. I had the same experience with the Treet's.

Top Bottom