What's new

Combining two very different soaps. VDH and William's

Does anyone know if Van Der Hagen and William's Mug soap can be combined? Could I grate a Puck of William's and pour melted VDH over it and mix it in? Does that sound like a bad idea? I have a puck of both and feel like they are just missing a little "something" but maybe If I could combine them it would make a better soap.

It's been done. It works reasonably well, so you might as well mix up a trial batch if you like. Don't try to melt the Williams.

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Dr. Peter Venkman: What?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't mix the soaps.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Like shaving with canned foam.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

proxy.php

Don't do it. Look at how angry the Mr. Van Der Williams man looks in the background.

I did exactly as you suggest a few months ago. Yup, mill the Williams and melt the VDH, stir to mix and let harden. Or mill them both, put in a mug and nuke, same thing ultimately. In use the puck develops a pebble grain surface since the williams is harder than the VDH.

That is only an improvement when you are not yet able to get a decent lather out of Williams IMO; VDH lathers easily, granted, but is not even close in performance to Williams. It does require some brush skills though.

the thing i like about my VDH is that it comes in it's own little self container. (with an air tight sealing top) doesn't take up any bathroom real estate. i just toss it in the cabinet. definitely going to be re-using the container when its gone.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have milled a puck of VDH Deluxe and Williams a few months back with a cheese grater. I combined them together and then pressed it into a large mug. It has been giving me awesome lathers with exceptional staying power, and the shaves have been slick and cushiony.

The glycerin from the vdh, and the tallow from the williams combine two cheap priced pucks into a high priced lather.

Top Bottom