What's new

Question on filling fountain pen

So I recently got a Lamy safari and a converter. After I used up the cartridge that came with it I wanted to fill up my pen. The question is what is the best way? I have an eye dropper bottle of Noodler's Heart of Darkness. The lady in the store said I just put the converter on the pen and suck up the ink through the nib. Is this how it is done? Thank god I work in a science lab so I have a variety of tubes. I had to eventually transfer the ink to a secondary container that was deep enough to submerge the nib to get suction but still where I could reach the ink level while holding the pen.

Is there an easier way to fill that I just don't get?

That's how it's done. Nib in ink and screw away on the converter! Any normal ink bottle is fine for depth until it gets near the end.

Gareth

strop

Now half as wise
I've been using Levenger ink for the last few years.
the bottles come with an insert reservoir that fills with ink when you tip the bottle. It is just the size of the nib, so filling is easy. You can also take the converter off and fill it separately but I've never done so for fear that it would become loose with repeated fillings.

Can't wait to try the Noodler's. I need more ink like I need more razors, but a B&B special can't be passed up!

Mark

It sounds like you're doing it correctly. If you've got any questions, there are videos on youtube that should show you how to do it. Alternatively, you can simply take the empty cartridge, wash it out and refill it with the ink of your choice.

As the others have said, the pen store lady is correct. One thing that you may notice is that the converter only fills about half way. The problem is, some of what you suck up is used to prime the feed etc. Sometimes, you can get a fuller fill by filling and emptying the pen 2-3 times with the nib submerged in the ink. Alternately, if you want it really full, fill the converter, flip it upside down, screw the plunger down to let out all the air, then refill the rest of the way from the ink. I'm of the opinion that is way more trouble than it is worth.

Alternately, if you want it really full, fill the converter, flip it upside down, screw the plunger down to let out all the air, then refill the rest of the way from the ink. I'm of the opinion that is way more trouble than it is worth.

You're right, it is. Plus, it's real easy to make a mess that way. Just prime the converter a little by sucking and discharging a few times (I know, sounds lewd) and carefully wipe down the nib so ink doesn't get everywhere. Scribble a little to get the pen going and you're done!

If you want, you can also remove the converter from the pen, fill it directly from the bottle, and then wipe off and re-insert the converter. Barring any violent shaking, the ink will not leak from the converter and it's a little bit neater.

But there's nothing wrong with filling it through the nib, either.

Usually people just submerge the nib to fill. It's fine to remove the converter, but it's just a soft plastic press fit into the pen so eventually it will stretch out and leak. But if you're careful to pull straight out and not wiggle it too much, it will last a long time, and new converters are like $5 so no big deal in any case.

If you have an empty cartridge, you can refill that with a syringe and it will hold more than a converter. They stop sealing well after a few refills but if you have some lying around, hey, they're free.

If you have an empty cartridge, you can refill that with a syringe and it will hold more than a converter. They stop sealing well after a few refills but if you have some lying around, hey, they're free.

I find that Pilot cartridges work far better than the CON-50 converter that comes with most of their mid-end pens. Their carts are a hard plastic as well, so they seem to last almost forever. Come to think of it, I haven't had to toss one for being too loose yet.

Top Bottom