What's new

HHT varying levels

I see people post from time to time that they do one thing and get HHT1, then do something else and get HHT3. My question is, what is the difference? I only consider razors to be passing the HHT when they are popping hairs up and down the blade, so I was curious if I was missing something.

Thanks. I guess I hadn't found that, only the acronym list where it just says HHT = Hanging Hair Test. Thanks.

My dau-in-law buzzed the heads of my two grandsons recently, and I put their hair in a ziploc bag for HHTs. Someone was by the other day for some honing training, and brought his wife's hair. With my hair, which I normally use, that makes four different individual's hair for HHTs that I have in my possession right now.
For multiple razors this weekend, I used all four type hair, applying the HHT. That made it very clear to me that you can't make ANY statements about what consitutes a successful HHT on these threads!
For one person's hair, successfully passing the HHT might be that the hair is cut at the slightest contact. Another hair, applied to the same razor, might only vibrate, indicating succesfully passing the HHT.

In order to use the HHT, in my opinion, you have to have a razor that you absolutely know has been honed well. Then, after applying the HHT dozens of times with one person's hair, you can say something like...

"With John Doe's hair, if the razor is honed properly, the hair will ..."

My dau-in-law buzzed the heads of my two grandsons recently, and I put their hair in a ziploc bag for HHTs. Someone was by the other day for some honing training, and brought his wife's hair. With my hair, which I normally use, that makes four different individual's hair for HHTs that I have in my possession right now.
For multiple razors this weekend, I used all four type hair, applying the HHT. That made it very clear to me that you can't make ANY statements about what consitutes a successful HHT on these threads!
For one person's hair, successfully passing the HHT might be that the hair is cut at the slightest contact. Another hair, applied to the same razor, might only vibrate, indicating succesfully passing the HHT.

In order to use the HHT, in my opinion, you have to have a razor that you absolutely know has been honed well. Then, after applying the HHT dozens of times with one person's hair, you can say something like...

"With John Doe's hair, if the razor is honed properly, the hair will ..."

Absolutely, I know now that if I get a violin with my wife's hair it will shave OK, not great but OK. If I get catch and pop it will shave pretty good, and an instant cut will shave real nice. You need to use the same hair samples, and learn what it means.

yep i agree with above , it takes plenty of practice and trial with the grain of hair you use. I can tell by the way the hair severs and does'nt, how the razor will perform. Also some razors will pass realy well and some not so well. It can depend on the razor.thats what i have found.

gary

You can compensate for hair variability by using a SE or DE blade to calibrate your hair sample. Using a known edge you can test a given hair to determine how it reacts. I get variation even within a single hank of hair that I use. When I get odd behavior I pull the safety razor blade off its little magnet and give it a go. Sometimes I find a hair that won't even pop with a fresh DE. I discard those. There really isn't any way to compare HHT results among different people here in the boards barring a hair exchange so we all have the same hair. Even then there is variation even on the same head the hair came from.

Top Bottom