What's new

Have you ever cut yourself (someplace besides your face) on a razor blade?

Tell us your stories if you have.

For those of you who haven't, do you think you can shave with DE your entire adult life and never accidentally get cut by a blade, or do you think it's only a matter of time before it happens?

I've been fortunate enough to never cut myself, despite the fact that I palm-strop my blades fairly frequently.

I got a small cut from a blade TAB one time when I was trying to tighten a Tech down with a fresh blade.

Yep cut my thumb nicely once when I was doing something stupid with my Merker Futur. Adjusting it mid shave with wet hands. You can guess what happened.

in one of my moments of greater wisdom i cut a finger trying to sharpen a straight and i bled like a stuck pig..

Fingers, when I was a kid playing with my Dad's DE blades. Didn't hurt till later, but bled like nobody's business

Many years ago, when I was a pre-teen, playing with my Fathers Rolls Razor, the guard came off and I got a really deep cut on my thumb. The scar only started to disapear after about 50 years !.

Went for my Feather SS DE a few weeks ago early one Friday morning pre-coffee with my left hand. Evil forces aligned and I managed to slot the tip of my left index finger right into the blade. Nice big gash. And of course it was the day before a day of fishing, so tying the flies on my leader the next day was super easy....

It is easy to cut yourself honing or attempting a restoration (sanding). I have but only mildly. I know others that have not been so lucky...

Al raz.

Yep, sure have . . . but not while shaving!!

One of my first eBay acquisitions came complete with used (vintage accessory-type value-added item) blade installed. Cut my thumb rather nicely, it did!! I learned a few things:

1. Some sellers don't have sense enough to pour **** from a boot, even if the instructions were printed on the heel.

2. Treat all razors like a loaded gun until you have unloaded the old blade yourself!!

'Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -- Ernest Hemingway'

I didn't know Ernest said that, but somewhat instinctively I've always felt the same about sober vs. drunk.
Never cut anything but my face though, razor-wise. I no doubt will, eventually, straight or DE.

Legion

Staff member
A lot of straight razor guys manage to cut their ear once or twice. I have.

And when you are restoring straights you cut your hands all the time.

With a DE? Nah, just my face.

Not me, but my colleague at work was holding his razor and had to scratch his back - not thinking about, but still holding his razor, put his hand behind him to scratch and...slice! Nice clean line where the razor just cut a nice neat line.

Oh yeah, razor slipped one time and without thinking I grabbed at it with my other hand, nicked a couple of fingers that time, not serious but man, what a dumb thing to do. :thumbdown

Top Bottom