What's new

What do you carry-on only guys take?

Is 1-3 blades ok? Do you try?

Which cartridge otherwise? Quattro? Fusion?

Let's say there is no time to shop at the destination.

Its really too bad, but if you're gonna do just carry on your options are very limited. Even having a DE without a blade is going to be subject to a search and the razor being checked out. All time consuming. If you're willing to put up with this then just pick up some blades at your destination. If really in a hurry just pick up a disposable when you get there.

I always take my DE's and my straight when I travel, so I'm always having a checked bag.

I'm heading out on a trip tomorrow and just went to the store and grabbed a trac II compatible 'bump fighter' razor with some generic walgreens blades (8 bucks for 10). I did this on the recommendation of this forum. I've yet to try the razor/blades but it feels like a solid well made razor. For 5 bucks it seems to make an ideal travel razor (hopefully it shaves well). I have heard all sorts of things regarding the blades in the carry on from they got through to they were taken right away...I figured I'd play it safe and opt for the recommended trac II 'travel' shaver option.

Whatever cartridges you have left over from your pre-Enlightenment days. Popular answers include: Mach3, Sensor, Trac II, and Atra.

Or just mail some DE blades to your hotel if you know where you're going.

DE blades are forbidden for your safety by the Thousands Standing Around! Please, for your safety, only shave with a cartridge razor and divide your toothpaste into smaller, 2oz containers. Thank you!

Personally, I have stash of twin blade disposables for traveling. Other users find the Bic sensitive single-blade disposables are a reasonable shave. I'd miss my DE razor, but even without a blade in it, I'd be too nervous that some pimple-faced TSA "agent" would sieze it because it LOOKS dangerous.

As for trying to smuggle blades... they could be seized (no big deal)... or the TSA could haul you off in cuffs and paint you as an American-bred domestic terrorist who is part of a maniacal plot to shave the stewardesses if this plane doesn't go to Beirut.

I drive much more than I fly these days.

I have a Fusion Pro that I use when traveling. Got the razor and blades on Ebay for half their normal cost. Has lasted me over a year and just on second blade.

If you packed you blades i one of those old style metal blade holders would the TSA people still be able to see them?

If you packed you blades i one of those old style metal blade holders would the TSA people still be able to see them?

I happen to know the answer to this question, but if I were to post it here, it would endanger national security, so I can't. Joglander

They may not see them if you're wearing them on a ring pierced through your nose. They miss a lot. However, if they find them, it's a federal crime, and if they're feeling cranky, bringing them on intentionally and artful concealment are both aggravating factors which will not go in your favor. Maybe they'll make you throw them away, maybe they'll be the most expensive razor blades you ever bought.

Why would you chance it? Put them in checked luggage, mail them ahead of time, buy some when you get there or tough it out with a razor that complies with TSA regulations.

I've got through with a single blade accidentally left in a DE. This is usually on my return trip since, if I have enough notice and I'm only flying to a single location, I mail a couple of blades ahead to the hotel I'm staying at. I've not tried intentionally leaving a blade in or carrying loose blades through. The amount of time you use dealing with the TSA folks could spoil your day.

As for carts/disposables, I've used the BIC Metal and Schick ST2 with decent luck. Both are fixed head, so technique should be somewhat similar to DE. The Metal has a reputation for being extremely sharp but I never found this to be the case. That said, with the fixed head, single blade, and metal guard bar, it's probably the closest you'll find to a DE style shave in a cart/disposable. I also have a Gillette Vector (modern version of the Atra) which I plan on using for travel to see if it's good enough to do away with the inconvenience (i.e. the need to remember to do so in advance) of mailing blades ahead).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got through with a single blade accidentally left in a DE several times.
Funny you say that, I went to UAE a while back, and when I arrived I found I had travelled all that way from NY with a small knife and bottle opener combo in my pocket, total accident/fluke, I'm sure if I had tried to sneak it through, I would have surely got nabbed.

If for no other reason, comply with the rules so you don't hold up the rest of the helpless rabble waiting behind you on the TSA line.

I know that I would be less than pleased if someone ahead of me got held up while TSA went picking around for DE blades.

It doesn't matter how many "I got through with such and such" stories there are - it doesn't make it right and it boils down to selfishness when you take into account everyone waiting to go after you.

Top Bottom