What's new

looking for a nice shavette, yes a shavette

Ok im prepared to get blasted here with buy a real str8 , before you post it know I want a shavette .Ive done the whole strop thing 10 years ago and the whole process drove me back to the carts. Ive got a chin strap beard to trim and shape and one rough spot on my neck and this is all i want it for . I do want a nice shavette though that takes de blades . I have a hatred of plastic in my shaveden so Im looking for a all metal handle . First question is the parker sr1 and 31r same razor ? Comaprisons between dovo and parker shavettes? Ive also heard from another forum of some indian shavettes with some very nice ,engraved even handles ( still trying to track this down , I figured you guys would be the one that may know ) If anyone has pictures that would be awesome

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you do a search there was a thread back a few days that had a few shavette pics. I have the Parker stainless handled one...the scales were crap so I rescaled it. The handles were pressed stainless and hollow. Shavettes are nice, but feather artist club razors are nicer....

I have the Parker stainless one myself. I think it may be called the SR1. I was against shavettes for some time, but happened to see it in person at a local barber shop and was impressed. I took it home and love it. Not as much as a traditional straight, but nonetheless, worth the ~$17 I paid.

I have 3 Parkers, and all shave very nice. I prefer the SRW myself, it just fits me better. :thumbup1:

If you're looking price wise, you can't beat any of the Parkers. I've found then to be well made and hold the blade very secure. To step it up, be sure to check out the Feather AC's, the new SS, and the Kai straights. Any of these are more expensive, but are top of the line straights. :w00t: :001_smile :thumbup:

Oh by the way, there is nothing at all wrong with a shavette. :w00t:

I'm thinking of pivking up a Parker for carry-on travel.

The great thing about traveling with the shavettes is it solves the strop issue and allows you to pack a little lighter.

Also, I've seen some guys rescale their Parkers to make them look pretty nice.

The great thing about traveling with the shavettes is it solves the strop issue and allows you to pack a little lighter.

Also, I've seen some guys rescale their Parkers to make them look pretty nice.
I never minded traveling with a strop. It's not like it takes up much space.

If you're planning on using it primarily/exclusively at home, I'd reccomend going with one that uses a full-length blade as opposed to a half-DE.

I've got a Parker SR1 (with metal scales and blade holder), there's nothing flimsy about it, and the blade holders are quite stiff. The only issue I've found with it was that the half-DE blade has corners which protrude from the holder and don't align with the "point" of the holder and those corners can create some pretty nasty cuts with little or no warning. A full-length blade (derby, for example?) at least has the advantage that the corner is clearly visible during shaving and at a location which is easy to keep track of.

I have recently had some minor hassles with TSA when carrying on this SR1 (they let me bring it, but warned that I shouldn't ever try to fly with it again) since the screeners were unfamiliar with it and needed to be shown that it had no edge of its own and I didn't have any blades in my bag.

Top Bottom