What's new

How to build a decent lather?

Hello all, this is my first, but hopefully not last, post. I bought some Col Conk Bay Rum shaving soap last week and was really looking forward to using it for my Saturday night shave, but I hit a snag. I like to build my lather in a bowl or a mug instead of directly on top of the soap, with other soaps and creams this hasn't been a problem, but with this particular soap I just could not get a good lather to form in the mug. I wasn't doing anything different to what I usually do with other soaps and creams, but maybe that's the problem. Eventually I did end up building the lather directly on top of the soap which produced a good, thick fantastic smelling lather which gave me a really smooth gentle shave. So what I am asking is, is there a way or technique to create the same thick lather in the mug? Should I chip a small chunk off the soap and put that in the mug and do it that way? Any advice.:001_smile

What other kinds of soaps have you used? How long do you normally load your brush before moving to a mug? It is probably as simple as not enough product. Try loading for twice as long as you normally do and then move to a bowl or mug.

Sounds like a soap you have to use a lot of product to make a decent lather. Try loading your brush heavily, for like a minute, then continue in your bowl.

Top Bottom