What's new

Tried a barber shave

Found a local barber in our area that does hot shaves. I decided to try it out since it would give me a comparison of my technique to the 'pros', see what is possible with a straight blade and see the equipment that is used. As I walked in, I noticed there were no strops, something I expected from the old days when barbers used to have that little spinning red-blue stripe lamp outside the shop.
I needed a haircut so got one of those too.
The haircut included a neck shave, something I've only had once before; I had a preview of what was in store for me.
Pre-Shave
After the haircut the barber directed me to a different chair for the shave, stuck a towel in my shirt as a 'work area' and applied a moisturizer over the bit of growth I had from the day before. They used a specialized vapourizer, that shoots a jet of steam against the face, I sat in the chair for about 15 minutes soaking, nearly fell asleep. A hot towel was applied afterward.
The Shave.
The place used razors with disposable blades, this would explain why I never saw a strop as I walked in.
In conversation with the guy, I mentioned that I had been using a st8 for 4 months, mentioned that my neck area was always a problem, he also added the side of the mouth was also tricky, to which I agreed. Not much to say about the shave itself, the shave started wtg, then atg, with some repeat strokes on the the lower jaw as necessary.
Post shave
Prior to applying the after shave, he warned me that it would sting; he was far wrong. I use either Tabac or 4711 A/S, the stuff he used on me likely has a bit more alcohol than the stuff available in the local drug store, Strong hint of Menthol in conjunction with the alcohol. He followed this up with a moisturizer
Bottom line
Shave and a hair cut 2 bits it wasn't close, of course the little ditty was written in the 30s (I think), the economy has changed a little... to the tune of $46CAN. Stupid me for got to see what a lone haircut was... maybe next time, the cut was really well done, I wasn't raced out of the chair, the barber was willing to talk about the trade and I got the neck shave, this is included in every hair cut.
The results
I was feeling my chin the whole way home, it was smooth, felt nicely moisturized, no burn, and smooth, did I mention it was smooth?
My wife noticed the difference as well, noted the smoothness, but also noticed the redness on either side of my face on the lower jaw (no wonder it stung with the A/S), looked like the kind of thing one would get if they slid on their butt on ashphalt (not quite of bad, but I was reminded of it). I was surprised though, it didn't sting at all

Would I do it again, no... that's an expensive procedure that will last maybe two - three day. It was interesting to see how my technique compared. I have ideas on my pre-shave... I need to look for our vapourizer.
I might think about getting a str8 with a pack of disposables, maybe for travel.
The Post shave lotion may have stung like the dickens, but my face certainly didn't seem to mind.
A fun experiment

Interesting to hear that you had a pretty good shave out of it. Much of what I've read is there are few old school barbers who do a very good job anymore.

The vaporizer sounds interesting but I'm maxed out in bathroom space.

The place advertises itself as the best hot shave in Calgary. They had better be good. The 'redness' I mentioned suggests it was minor. It is rather visible,but the post shave treatment did an excellent job of sealing it up. I guess this would best be described as a bad razor burn, but without the burn.
On the plus side they didn't reopen the wound I gave myself a few days ago (I was experimenting with my left hand)
I guess the guys in the shop must get practise with all the neck shaves they give with each hair cut

I think you found an old school barber there. Most of what I have read about getting a shave in US leads me to believe you can get a better shave if you do it yourself.

Glad you had a good experience. If I am going to pay for a shave I want this kind of treatment but I want the straight edge for the shave.

I get my haircuts at "old fashioned" barbershops, and decided to get a straight razor shave once, just to see what it was like. They used the hot towel prep, hot lathering machine ( Latherking?) . The barber was an old russian fellow, he used a shavette with a half of a DE blade ( for sanitary reasons I am guessing). It was a very relaxing experience, and a great shave as well! Just a bit too expensive to do on a regular basis though. The menthol aftershave you describe sure sounds like Osage Rub. It is inexpensive, and I happen to like it.

It was a barber shave, years ago when I was out of town for work, that turned me on to the idea that shaving could be awesome. The idea sat with me for years until I finally picked up a DE razor two months ago.

A friend recently told me about a Turkish barber in Enmore (Sydney) that does a good shave for $20. Sweet!

I'm bald as a cue-ball, and shave my head every day with a razor. Unfortunately, barber shops have been foreign to me for some time. However, I took my son to an old-school barber shop yesterday for a cut (he'd always wanted to go to a newfangled type place with music blasting and young tattoo'd women doing the cutting--my son is 15, after all). The shop is relatively new, but is furnished with antique side-bars and chairs. Really a cool place. Nice banter with older, experienced male barbers that most of you are accustomed to. While my son was getting his hair cut and cracking up at the ongoing conversation (and receiving a straight razor cleanup of his neck and sideburn area), I noticed an older gentleman with a white barber's smock giving a customer a straight shave at the other end of the shop. I then noticed he had 2 other customers waiting for a shave as well. The barber had a very distinct Italian accent. I may need to drop in and have him give the face and head a shave...

Cheers!

Yes, this seems to be one of the few "good" shave stories I've heard well....ever. Either extreme razor burn or a patchy shave is the norm for the barbers that are extremely expensive as well. With the two times I've had a barber shave, I prefer the first one, which wasn't as close and didn't leave any razor burn. The second one...well, I made a post about it some time ago.

The shop in Calgary is located in Country Hills, beside the EB Games across from the Royal Bank, Just North of Cardell Place. The three proprietors were Middle Eastern, mid twenties. I was was expecting an old European, seems many of the shops for men have middle-easterners... There's a bunch of older Italians in a shop in Chinook Center in the South, but don't know if they do old time shaves.
I expect all straight blades used these days will have disposable blades, very likely for sanitary reasons.
In my case I had all of the expected treatment, the hot lather was very nice, I might look into tracking down a scuttle. I am certainly considering using my vapourizer in the future
I expect the shave might have been about $20, the going rate for a regular harcut is on the order of maybe 15 - 25 around here. My usual place is $17 (they don't take Interac which is inconvenient) I am really considering going to the new place even if it is more expensive and a bit further away... The EB next store is too convenient

A good shave? I don't think so. If you had that shave in a barber shop in the 1950s the barber wouldn't be employed too long. You face should have been silky smooth with not a hint of any kind of irritation or redness. I find it amazing how out of sync guys are with this whole shave thing where they will accept a shave like this from a "professional" and think they did good or feel lucky. Maybe compared to the horrific shaves most get these days but I wouldn't be bragging.

Only ever had one professional shave done in my life by a barber in Turkey, it was good from what I can remember, but I always seem to end up doing it myself, that way I get the shave i want without hiccups.
I believe once you get your own technique down pat, no one can shave you better, no matter how long they have been doing it, I mean who knows your face better than you.

My barber is not bad but I give myself much closer and comfortable shaves. Obviously, part of the experience is the chair, the intense pampering, the chat, etc..., which I do not have access to when I shave at home.

Al raz.

A good shave? I don't think so. If you had that shave in a barber shop in the 1950s the barber wouldn't be employed too long. You face should have been silky smooth with not a hint of any kind of irritation or redness. I find it amazing how out of sync guys are with this whole shave thing where they will accept a shave like this from a "professional" and think they did good or feel lucky. Maybe compared to the horrific shaves most get these days but I wouldn't be bragging.

Not quite bragging, just regaling my tale of my first shave. Me being a polite Canadian, it takes a bit more than a little irritation to call out the hounds, it was smooth, smoother than what I can do currently.My mistake was not looking in the mirror, just merely running my fingers over the skin. This is only tale of my first shave. As I said I won't be going back for another, they might be doable for a haircut, they did an excellent job with that. They took their time, I wasn't rushed out of the chair, even my wife noticed the cut.
I was wondering if maybe I had the rookie for the shave, but that's beside the point
I got alot of ideas from this one experience

I've had a barber shop shave twice when I was still using a Mach III and Williams Soap bowl lathered.

A different barber each time. They used a shavette with a fresh blade, hot towel, hot cream from the machine, etc.

Very relaxing but my Mach III shave was still superior. Both barbers seemed to be too cautious working ATG to get a true BBS.

The days of an actual str8 blade shave are probably over, unless the shops get equipment to sterilize the blades.

Oh btw,
as I was leaving someone was going for a head shave. I didn't stick around to see how they did that

Top Bottom